Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an alphabetical listing of links to State Laws and related for various states. If you have a state to add to this list, please post it and I will add it to the main list.

CANADA (Not a State, but what the hey... we love 'em anyway.)

this refers to Alberta's laws... -firstgen86l

-Dan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nebraska State Law

It is Nebraska State Law that during daylight hours, it is illegal to have headlamps/parking lamps illuminated or "ON" while driving any vehicle from sun up to sun down.

·
Super Moderator
7,685 Posts
^^^ +1

That makes zero sense. What about all the cars out there that come from the factory with DRLs? What about during nasty rain / snow during the day when most people turn on their headlights / running lights so they can be seen easier by other vehicles?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tell me about it. I'm in a tri-state area of NE, SD, IA, ...I live in Iowa and took drivers education in Iowa, which we'd been taught that whenever traveling on a Hwy or Interstate, being visible is extremely important. Headlamp use was highly advised by our instructor. When I was pulled over by Nebraska State Patrol many years later, he's told me why he was stopping me. I was in disbelief myself, and I'd explained what my drivers education instructor had taught us and the logic that goes with it. He didn't seem to care. I further explained, "what about newer cars with daytime running lamps?", he said those vehicles were factory made that way, and that my 1985 Buick Riviera did NOT have this option, therefore I was in violation (oh it gets better). When he came back with a citation for it, I was shocked, confused, and even a little angry. I contacted the congressman for NE. in Lincoln, NE. ...he told me that the state law in question, was in fact a law still on the books, however, he said it sounded like it needed to be reviewed because it was extremely outdated and felt it was useless.

This may have been fixed by now (I hope), as this had occurred about 8 or 10 yrs ago. Kinda lost hope to fight it in court after congressman confirmed it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think it has been fixed, just spent awhile looking through NE code, couldn't find it specifically BUT since it WAS a law, surely it's on the interweb somewhere.

In my case, I was driving with just parking lamps ON during daylight hours, it was maybe an hour before sunset.

The following is NE. code copy n pasted from: Nebraska Safety Laws - Cell Phone, Seat Belt, & Car Seat | DMV.org

"You must use your headlights from sunset to sunrise, switching to low beams once daylight draws nearer.
It's unlawful to drive only using your parking lights during this time."

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
In NY State here is what is hot. If you have a phone in front of you or to your ear while in the driving lane you are toast. Since they have cracked down on this, the cases of people sitting at a green light while those behind are steaming has nearly gone.

I you are passing any emergency vehicle on the emergency lane with lights on, you must move over a lane if traffic permits. Multilane roads. They set traps for this.

I pass a state guy on the ramp nearly every day, if not he is down the road a mile or two with someone stopped. Must not be speeding as they whiz past the interchange at way over the limit. Someone going 50 will be stopped.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
7,685 Posts
Here in WI, a law was just passed that is is illegal to use your phone driving thru a construction zone. I wish the idiot politicians would have gone with a law similar to NY where effectively phone use is illegal when driving.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree. I drive truck OTR for a living, and therefore I have a birds eye view. See it all the time, everyone has a phone either on their lap, or in their hands at top of wheel so as to be able to see the road and screen simultaneously, Pfffft. Truckers were mandated to be hands free, BUT why'd they stop there?? Cell phones and other handheld devices should be banned from use while driving ANY/ALL motor vehicles. Statistics are overwhelming.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
In NY State here is what is hot. If you have a phone in front of you or to your ear while in the driving lane you are toast. Since they have cracked down on this, the cases of people sitting at a green light while those behind are steaming has nearly gone.

I you are passing any emergency vehicle on the emergency lane with lights on, you must move over a lane if traffic permits. Multilane roads. They set traps for this.

I pass a state guy on the ramp nearly every day, if not he is down the road a mile or two with someone stopped. Must not be speeding as they whiz past the interchange at way over the limit. Someone going 50 will be stopped.

-chart-
Same thing here in Jersey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
sousa632
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing