Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 1989 Taurus 3.0 OHV. My father in law picked this car up and it had not been run in a couple of years. He drove it for two weeks with no issues, then one day it bogged down and wouldnt idle and got the car 1/2 mile from his house before it completely died.
I did a complete tune-up (plugs cap rotor wires coil PCV AF FF) and I got it to start, but it wouldnt stay running unless I feathered the throttle. Too much throttle and it would choke to death.
Today I checked vacuum line blockage, cleaned all air related sensors. It seemed like every time I would unplug something, clean it and plug it back in, the car would run better. I got it to the point where it will idle in P but dies when put in D. When I hit the throttle you still have to feather it to get any response from the engine.
This car does not have an EGR or if it does it is well hidden.
I found your post about checking for codes, so I will do that tomorrow and post those results.
If anyone knows anything about these old beasts (I'm an OBDII expert, I know nothing about OBDI) can you please help me get my fatherinlaw's gas saver back on the road?

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
If fuel pressure is OK, suspect TFI/PIP failing. Sometimes these result in stored codes, but often no codes are stored.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Tfi

If fuel pressure is OK, suspect TFI/PIP failing. Sometimes these result in stored codes, but often no codes are stored.
Good call, the early years had a module on the dist and they will all fail, just a matter of when.

And old cars, sitting often have plugged fuel filter. Rust in the tank, bad fuel, water in the gas etc.

-chart-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Checked fuel pressure this morning and am only getting 13 PSI at the fuel rail. Replaced the fuel filter when I did the tune up.
Bad fuel pump??
I also reset the computer this morning and when I got it running CEL did not come on

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
What was the condition of the gas when you changed the filter. Did the gas look like gas or the color of applesauce? Does the car act like it is running rich, with a raw fuel smell from the exhaust?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fuel was fine. He filled the tank the previous day. Says it was the 3rd tank since he started driving it. I took some video today. Will post shortly

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
When did you get the 13 PSI number? After sitting or after cycling the key on/off a few times (without starting)?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hmmm pull the vacuum supply off the fuel pressure regulator to check for leakage.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I am shocked it would even start / run at all with 13 psi fuel press. Are you sure the gauge is good and fully depressing the Schraeder valve? As WJC said, possible FPR problem also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pulled vacuum line, no fuel coming out. The pressure reading valve is located before the regulator. Since he has been willing to throw parts on this thing, should I pop a new FPR on there just to see what happens?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am shocked it would even start / run at all with 13 psi fuel press. Are you sure the gauge is good and fully depressing the Schraeder valve? As WJC said, possible FPR problem also.
He just bought the gauge on Sunday (I get to keep it for helping him out ;) ) I put the Ford adapter on the Shrader valve on the fuel line, it was tight, had no fuel spraying out of the fitting or coupler, so I'm pretty sure it was an accurate reading.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I have seen some gauges that barely depress the pin in the Schraeder valve and give low readings even when pressure is fine. Could always remove the valve core (same tool used to remove tire valve cores) and reconnect gauge and see if you get a different reading.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the 89 should have an egr. it should be on the back side between block and windshield. also check the pcv while you are at it. i would do the regulator just because of the age of the car. plus the psi should be 30 to 40. try testing again with the fuel cap off and see if the pressure changes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have seen some gauges that barely depress the pin in the Schraeder valve and give low readings even when pressure is fine. Could always remove the valve core (same tool used to remove tire valve cores) and reconnect gauge and see if you get a different reading.
I will do that tomorrow. I will also take video with my REAL camera so you can see whats going on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the 89 should have an egr. it should be on the back side between block and windshield. also check the pcv while you are at it. i would do the regulator just because of the age of the car. plus the psi should be 30 to 40. try testing again with the fuel cap off and see if the pressure changes.
The 89 only had an EGR if it had CA emmisions. There is a blockoff plate where the EGR would be.
PCV was replaced with tuneup last week

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The car is FIXED!!
I took the shrader valve out of the fuel rail, put the pressure tester on and still got 1-2 PSI key on and 13-15 running.
Replaced fuel preesure regulator
Same results
Dropped the tank and pulled the fuel pump out.
The little hose that goes from the fuel pump outlet to the fuel sending unit had a hole in it. I replaced the fuel pump since we had the tank out.
Now fuel pressure is reading 40-44 psi and the car is running like a champ
Thanks for all that helped me get through this project

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Good job! Glad to hear it is fixed. I personally never had the hose in the tank fail, but I know 2 others that have had that hose crack / split on them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts