Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
really weird one..two months ago my 02 sable (3.0 dohc) would not start .the weird part is that when i put the key in ,there is power ,as soon as i move it to the start i loose alllll power ..everything.! disconnected battery , reconnected battery, power comes back, i put the key in try to turn on power out !!!!...Removed the battery for several minutes ,put back in , car starts like nothing happened !..two months later , same problem ,after several disconnecting/reconnecting the battery car starts .I leave it on without battery being connected ( alternator test passes ) . I let it run for couple of minutes ,shut down , wont start again , same thing no power. I changed the starter relay ,same thing . I did the same thing ,discn./reconnect battery and now car runs fine for two days!...There are no error codes , like nothing happened..
anyone any ideas ? it must be electrical somewhere ,fuses, relays looked good ..any sensors that i should check ? please help , i love this car but this occasional no start is driving me crazy !!!
btw.batery is brand new ,100 % charged.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Have you checked your connections at the starter? How about the condition of the battery cables, are they corroded? Can you hear the starter solenoid click? I changed my ground cable because of severe corrosion under the insulation. Doing a voltage drop test would be a good way to check the condition of the wire.

Next time this occurs have someone turn the key and see if you are even getting power to the starter or starter relay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked your connections at the starter? How about the condition of the battery cables, are they corroded? Can you hear the starter solenoid click? I changed my ground cable because of severe corrosion under the insulation. Doing a voltage drop test would be a good way to check the condition of the wire.

Next time this occurs have someone turn the key and see if you are even getting power to the starter or starter relay.
[/b]
All checked already ! just talked to someone at the autozone today ..PATS anti-theft system is the cause ! i have only one programmed key and it's possible that there is problem with the key or the anti-theft system ( which explains the immediate power loss as soon as you try to start the engine !).So i will make another key and program it ,if it happens again with the new key i will go to the dealer and disable the theft system .
it does kinda makes a sanse , doesnt it .....

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (halogen @ Feb 14 2009, 01:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=702253
QUOTE (the_intimidator_02 @ Feb 14 2009, 11:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=702228

Next time this occurs have someone turn the key and see if you are even getting power to the starter or starter relay.[/b]
All checked already ! just talked to someone at the autozone today ..PATS anti-theft system is the cause ! i have only one programmed key and it's possible that there is problem with the key or the anti-theft system ( which explains the immediate power loss as soon as you try to start the engine !).So i will make another key and program it ,if it happens again with the new key i will go to the dealer and disable the theft system .
it does kinda makes a sanse , doesnt it .....
[/b][/quote]
Ok, I've been having the same problem with no-starts. Had it looked at by 2 mechanics who cant find what's wrong but I keep reading out disconnecting the anti-theft device. Everything else is fine. That's my last hope to be able to get to work and not get fired cause of my Sable.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Never run the car with the battery disconnected. The charging system does not like that at all, and neither do the electronics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts