Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been surfing you're site for a few weeks while repairing a 96 Taurus GL. The site is very informative and you seem to have some very smart individuals here. I have been searching and cannot find a solution to my problem.

First I bought this car with a bad transmission, wouldnt shift into 3rd just rev wildly. I replaced the transmission (AX4N) and now when I put the shift selector in overdrive all it does is start in 2nd gear, shifts fine through the rest. When slowing down it downsifts to 2nd at 30mph like its supposed to, but never downshifts into 1st. This is very frusterating since that transmission job wat a PITA! Any info or help at all would be great, I hope you can help!

Thank you.

I guess I should say while replacing the tranny, I failed to see the vss still plugged in and it pulled the wires right out of the connector, I pulled a whole new vss out of a AX4N in the boneyard with the connector on it and just spliced the new connector in with the old wires, I had added about 7 inches of length to the wires. I am going to try and cut the wires to the vss back down to original length and use a microDean's (extremely low resistance) connector to hopefully eliminate that as the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
fixed the vss plug wires with a dean connector, same thing still happens. Starts in 2nd gear and wont downshift to 1st on its own. If I put the gear selector in 1, 1st gear works just fine.

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts
Check the TRS
[/b]
Agreed.... Do you have a scan tool that will let you see what gear the PCM thinks has been selected?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I do not have a scan tool, would my local dealer? If not are they expensive? Thank you for the suggestion I will check the TRS, Is that the sensor located on the drivers side of the transmission?

Ok I found the TRS I will try and swap it with a spare I have laying around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts