Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyy guys, I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SES with about 79k miles on it.
I replaced the battery about 2 months ago, and purchased a duralast from walmart. 2 days ago, when I went to start my car, it wouldn't. It didn't even make any noise, the key turned and nothing. We thought it was my battery, so we tried to jump the vehicle. It took maybe 12 cranks, and I waited 2-3 minutes between cranks, in order to get it jumped. After letting the battery sit for about 10 minutes, I turned my car off, in hopes of getting it to turn back on afterwards. Now instead of turning on, my car was making a ticking noise. After about another 5 minutes, my car once again made no noise whatsoever when I turned the keys. Everyone says "oh its the battery, its the battery". I have a feeling its the alternator, and thats why the battery is draining. Is there any positive way I can check this, other than going to a mechanic?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
have you checked the post and made sure they are clean and making good contact. autozone will test the alt and battery for free. if the alt was bad the car would die out when running. ( the battery would get drained ) it sounds like a bad ground or connection. make sure the terminals are clean and tight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heya, thanks for the tip. I did check the tightness of the posts this morning, but I didn't remove them to check for uncleanliness. That I will definitely do. Could the battery have been drained by anything else? I've only had it 2 months, and the alternator is the only thing I can think of that could drain it out that fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The ticking or clicking sound you are hearing is your solenoid. It could be a few different reasons why your car won't start. The easiest and cheapest way to figure out which one, is to take your car to the auto parts store (Discount Auto, Auto Zone, etc.) and have them figure it out, they will do it for free, in hopes of selling you the solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I can't take the car because it won't start even with a jump, but I think I'm just going to have to remove the battery and alternator from the vehicle, and I'll just take the individual parts to Autozone. Thanks anyways guys!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the car draws power at all time. the voltage used is so min, that normal driving habits ( everyday or couple times a week ) doesnt effect the battery. if you have an elect, meter you can check the volt output of the alt. but the auto parts store does it for free. if the battery and alt checks out to be fine there are other methods to figure out where the drain is coming from. there has been times when new batteries have been weak and dont last.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
when you are jumping the car... are you letting the charge build up for a couple of mins before you attempt to crank? do you have the donor car running while this is happening? i know this may seem like a stupid question but you would be surprised how some people jump start a car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I let the car charge up 5 minutes before my first initial crank, and even then I had to crank it maybe 12 times afterwards, and waited 2-3 minutes inbetween. The donor car (a 98 Ford Taurus) was running the whole time, and after I had gotten the car to finally start, I still had the donor battery hooked up for another 5 minutes after start, and then we took the clamps off, and let the car run for another 5 minutes. My boyfriends brother, who was "trying" to help, turned the car off after letting it run for about 10 minutes. Could this be where we failed?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
after getting started you should drive the car for atleast 20 mins. the higher rpm helps charge the battery faster. just letting it idle will not charge the battery correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, well that was his bad, lol. I'll try getting my battery going again after I can find someone to jump, and my closest Autozone is about a 15-minute drive, that way I can get the battery charged by them, and ask about my alternator.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
dont let them do a load test on the battery today. with it being weak it will just drain it and you will have to jump it again. tell them no load test. just check output of alt. while they are testing it turn the radio on, a/c and lights, this will show if it is weak or bad. if it test good then i would drive the car for an hour today and try to restart it after 20 mins and let it run again for another 10 mins before letting it sit over night. the battery is still under warranty. if it has a hard time restarting after driving for an hour then replace the battery.

·
Registered
328 Posts
From what has been written, Sure don't seem confident that is the battery or alt. Why couldn't it be a faulty starter? Your post are clean, jumping it didn't always help(sign of bad starter, battery isn't that old all indicating not battery, possibly alt. yes.

But why not get under car when you hear the clicking sound you mentioned. The clicking does comes from the starter area, selonoid on top of it, right??

So Tap starter with hammer when this occurs. See if it then turns/cranks. Just talking from experience that i had in past, 03 sable.

Scott--let us know what the scenario was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the help, figured out what the problem was this morning. Got the car jump-started, went to autozone, and they tested the battery. Definitely a bad battery, but hey, i don't know much about cars anyway. Luckily it's got a free 2 year replacement on my battery, so its getting recharged or replaced right now. Unfortunately, though, on the way to walmart my car broke down in the middle of the causeway, but was jumped by a cop.. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts