Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 Vulcan 3.0 2Valve, 140,000 miles

Here's a slightly different "overheat then won't start". After getting the car off the freeway as quickly as I could, the motor was smoking from what looked like the front valve cover/spark plug area. Cooled it down, refilled the cooling system and nursed it home about 8 miles, stopping a couple times to cool down as the temp got near the top. During this time, it was a bit harder to start and ran a bit rough, especially compared to the smooth running beforehand.

Replaced the water pump and thermostat, finding the thermostat a non-functioning rusted piece of shards. After this, the car has been no-start. Tried starter fluid squirted in just before the intake manifold, by loosening the big rubber air intake hose just above where it attaches to the intake manifold. The plugs are getting spark. When I remove them, there's some gas smell on the plugs, so I'm saying it's getting fuel. The front three cylinders have compression of 90 to 100 lbs. I didn't test the rear because of access and time.

I expect that the head gasket is blown, but does anyone have an idea about getting it to start and run, even roughly, like it did just before I replaced the water pump?

Thanks!
Bruce S

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
your compression is to low. add some oil to the cylinder and see if the compression increases.
Agree. Overheat often sticks the rings on the pistons. Once started (with oil) they will return to normal location on the pistons. If the head gasket is not blown, or head cracked, then it should run OK.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
You blew a head gasket.

Probably at the rear passenger side.

Mike
B)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts