Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking of purchasing a 2001 Taurus from the estate of my wife's deceased uncle. The car is in good shape but has a starting problem. There are two sets of keys. One is the "Valet Key", the other looks the same but I don't know if it originally came with the car. Starting the car with the second key works fine when the engine is cold but once it is warmed up it won't always start and if it does it runs really ragged. We ran into this problem when we looked at the car today. It wouldn't start when warm. However, if you use the "Valet Key" it starts immediately. Once started, you can shut it off and then the other key then works. I suspect it has to to with the chip encoded keys but don't quite understand why. If the second key was programmed incorrectly, it shouldn't work at all.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I looked at your profile and the 2001 Taurus never had the 3.2 Yamaha. The 3.2 Yamaha was found in the Gen 2 SHOs unless you did a motor swap?

You will have either the Vulcan or Duratec.

Is there a CEL?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The Taurus never came with a "Valet Key". The factory key is shown below (the Ford key should have a rubber-like feel to it and colored Ford logo):

If the key head is smooth black plastic, then it is a dealership or aftermarket key blank, but works the same as OEM.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Qwertz,

Can you clarify to the original poster if the keys are encoded? My Gen 2 copy key isn't.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
All G4s (2000-2007) have the chipped keys. The factory system does not have a "Valet" mode so all keys programmed for the car act the same.

Try reprogramming both keys at the same time following the instructions in the owner's manual. If you have no owner's manual, a PDF version is available online: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owne...als/default.asp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts