Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,im in Australia so i hope ya'all understand me.
I havent started my 1997 Taurus ,durotech motor ,for over a year.Is there anything i need to check or look for?i just started it and the temp gauge went to half and the radiator hoses had pressure in them so i think the coolant is good.i did see some steam i think comming from under the dipstickshould i change the thermostat as my old '72 falcon needed this often,it would rust shut or open.
Any thing else i should be wary of?
thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...and its covered in dirt,pretty thick.should i shrow hot soapy water over it then hose it.i dont want to rub it in if u know what i mean!

·
Registered
402 Posts
The fuel is probably crap.

The steam was probably just a puddle of water unless it continues to happen.

Toss the battery on a charger/conditioner for a while, check the belts for any cracks, check the tires for cracks, pressure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it had no fuel in it,just put it in,it runs smooth so thats good.i think with the dirt ill get a wool mitt with hot car wash soapy water,soak it,then hose,then wipe it with the mitt,thats the best ive found on google.thanks

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
it had no fuel in it,just put it in,it runs smooth so thats good.i think with the dirt ill get a wool mitt with hot car wash soapy water,soak it,then hose,then wipe it with the mitt,thats the best ive found on google.thanks
Just keep the water out of the electrical bits like the alternator, battery, and fuses.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im getting a steamy water smell after a drive,coolant is full,radiator hoses seem to have pressure in them after a drive,temp gauge sits on half,ive had a thermostat seize in me '72 falcon but it didnt have coolant it was just a hack :)...any idea's or things to watch for?.thank you

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,753 Posts
im getting a steamy water smell after a drive,coolant is full,radiator hoses seem to have pressure in them after a drive,temp gauge sits on half,ive had a thermostat seize in me '72 falcon but it didnt have coolant it was just a hack :)...any idea's or things to watch for?.thank you
I'd be concerned about cracks in the hoses going to the heater core, or a split core. Letting coolant sit for that long without circulating isn't good inside the system unless it was a fresh flush-&-fill.

While it's still summer there and you don't need the heat, bypass the core by disconnecting both core hoses and connect them with a fitting and a couple of clamps. Drive it for a few days. If the smell goes away you likely have a problem with the core. If the smell is still there, check the condensation drain at the bottom of the heater box where it stick out of the firewall. It may be plugged, trapping water in the box.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you,i have done 1 test i found i could do.measuring voltage in coolant?..i had the motor runing and DC was 0.3.Is that good or have i done the test wrong.thanks for your answer,ill cut off the heater.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
300 mV (0.3 volts) is usually the max recommended electrolysis voltage for coolant. Personally, I change mine before it gets to 250 mV.

Honestly, a coolant flush is a good thing. If it hasn't been done in a while, you should do it. However, if you suspect a leak, you should try and find it first. Inspect the heater hoses behind the engine. You should be looking for drips on the floor under the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts