Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, newbe to the ford site. Just came upon a 1999 taurus in really decent shape with under 100k miles. I cant seem to figure out my starting and idle issues from reading the fixes for my symptoms. The car will start, surge and then die. Then it will be hard starting and i'll have to keep my foot on the gas. 5-10 minutes and then it will Idle at just over 500 rpms just barely running.
The codes it threw indicated air idle control valve. Replaced it. That was not it. After that I then got 5 codes, Air idle control valve, misfire on 5 and 6, a seliniod code and a running lean code. I also put a new coil pack on based on the symptoms. No vacum leaks anywhere either. Fuel cut off switch is working.
Not sure what else to check. Maybe clean the MAF, Switch the plugs out, wires are new.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
How did you check for vacuum leaks? Even very small leaks will cause lean codes and poor idle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Plugs? Fuel pressure? Clean MAF? Clean air cleaner? Test high tension leads? No cracks in breather hose from valve cover to intake? (Maybe try cleaning your original IAC) Before throwing parts at an engine it's always good to check all the basics first.
I've got a lo-mi 99 also, had to replace the fuel pump/filter at 70K....

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
How did you check for vacuum leaks? Even very small leaks will cause lean codes and poor idle.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
See pic of neglected ground. In this case was causing erratic idle. This is the PCM ground and the signal return from all sensors. The ground strap from the engine is the prime source of negative current from the Alt. Sand off rust and treat with anti-ox compound for future corrosion prevention.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your time in responding. I have a bad habit of jumping to conclusions (throwing parts unnecessarily) I will check plugs, fuel pressure, gnds etc. No motor craft coil. Carb cleaner for vacum leaks.
Thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I have been to the local JY may times. Two things common on all non wreck Bulls. The pic of the battery/cable says they had poor battery maint. and the results of such. No chance of a usable set of cables in the JY. All like this. Second, every Vulcan has a cracked if OE coil. Thus a sure misfire. DOHC uses the same coil but hard to see. Pic is not the worst, have pic of one where the acid eat through the throttle cable and cruise cable. Likely the prime cause of Bulls going to the JY.
Top of my list when adding a used Bull. Clean cables, clean bat tray and it's mounting bolts. Check coil for cracks. My last two had new MC coils when I bought them. Someone already had issues. Based on many posts here, you can depend on OE coil fail by 100K. Cracked coil will in time kill your mpg and cats. Pay me now, or pay 10X later.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts