Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone else has experienced my problems with starters. This has now happened twice on a Ford Ranger and now my 2000 Taurus. On an intermittant basis, maybe once out of five to eight starts get the zingggg with the starter motor turning without engaging the flywheel. I know the problem is the starter drive but after removal and bench testing three to four times it gets a pass. They tell me it passes and is fine, maybe the starter relay, etc. Last January after reinstalling the starter on the Ranger after bench test I got stranded. Today after it passed three bench tests I purchased another starter because for the $150.00 it is not worth getting stranded and a tow. Today they tried to convince me it was the flywheel. Replacing the starter took care of the problem. The counter guy who sold me the replacement took my information for the "life time warranty" but what good is that when they always pass the bench test???

Scott

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
most starters will always pass the bench test. yes the gear kicks out.... but when you add in the flywheel it doesnt mean the starter has the ability to turn it. an old school parts store understands this and normally will take your word for it if you know what you are talking about. stores like autozone most of the employees wouldnt know how to install a starter

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^ +1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts