Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, yesterday my Sable 3.8L (automatic) after driving it to a couple of places I turned the key to start it but the starter wouldn't crank! after I played with the Ignition Key on/off, pressed the brake pedal several times and moved the Trans stick from P to 1 and backwards like 20 times or so the car finally started. Battery is ok and I always see the dashboard lighted everytime I turned the key, after that incident it started normally 4 times more as if nothing happened and I was able to make it home. It was very scary since I was parked in a desolate area of my city at night!

Question: Is there some kind of switch or safety lock damaged that can be preventing the starter to crank sometimes? I don't want to end up in the middle of nowhere with a dead car HELP!

·
Registered
148 Posts
there is a starter solenoid on the left side of the cart behind the battery make sure this is clicking when you are cranking the car if it is not clicking it is bad and replace it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try starting it in Neutral next time if fails to crank while in PARK.

If this is reliable, replace the NSS (also called the TRS -Transmission Range Sensor) as it is going bad...

If the NSS/TRS is defective, above mentioned relay will never click but it is not the source of your problem. Replacing it without first doing some detective work can lead to a waste of time and money.

The quick way to test where the fault is at is to measure the voltage at the small terminal on the relay while the ignition is in the START position but not cranking. If there is no voltage present (there should be), the problem is most likely the NSS/TRS. If battery voltage is there but the relay did no energize, it is most likely defective.

Steve

·
Registered
318 Posts
There was a problem with the 3.8 Taurus/Sable with a "No crank" condition. It concerned a solenoid wire that would corrode at one end, causing a "failure to crank" condition. Ford never issued a recall on it, but there was a TSB. Repair involves replacing the bad wire.

What happened to you also happened to me; I had to pay to have the car towed into the dealer. Seems like Ford could have told the owners and dealers about the problem, so it could be handled when the car was in for an oil change or something rather than having a catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:

Thanx everyone for their answers, I checked the Relay located in the left fender and it was so loose that I could easily move it with my fingers, I just had to tight it again, so far I've been able to start my car again 6 times, I guess the Relay not being firmly attached was the culprit. Thank you gtx2000!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE (again):

Guess what guys, Steve was right about the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor), it happened again, it developed a "No Crank" situation all over again, I took the car to a qualified tech person and he ran a few tests and replaced the TRS and now it works fine. Thanx Steve! My Tauri owes ya one!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by Eduardo@Feb 7 2004, 07:22 PM
UPDATE (again):

Guess what guys, Steve was right about the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor), it happened again, it developed a "No Crank" situation all over again, I took the car to a qualified tech person and he ran a few tests and replaced the TRS and now it works fine. Thanx Steve! My Tauri owes ya one!
Well, if your car ever fails to start again, then find a mallet and give the starter casing a couple of whaps.

If the car is able to start up after that, then the starter motor needs to be replaced. - Reinhart

1 - 9 of 9 Posts