Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if anyone else has experienced the frustration with starter motors and testing. Twice now on a 1989 Ranger, and now today with my 2000 Taurus have had starter problens which I know to be the starter drive. On an intermittant basis, perhaps once in five to eight cranks get the zinnnggggg of the starter motor turning without the engine turning over. Remove the starter for bench testing and they test it three times and it gets the green pass. In January beleived them and reinstalled the starter on an 89 Ranger which resulted in a short time of a no start and strand situation. Today my 2000 Taurus has identical symptoms and once removed it tested good. I know the relay is fine, as well as the flywheel. It is the starter drive but they will not replace under warranty unless it tests bad. I decided to eat the $150.00 replacement cost though it should have been under warranty because it is not worth a strand and a tow. The counter guy told me the new starter had a lifetime warranty but what good is that when they always seem to test good on the bench???

Scott

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
I wondered if anyone else has experienced the frustration with starter motors and testing. Twice now on a 1989 Ranger, and now today with my 2000 Taurus have had starter problens which I know to be the starter drive. On an intermittant basis, perhaps once in five to eight cranks get the zinnnggggg of the starter motor turning without the engine turning over. Remove the starter for bench testing and they test it three times and it gets the green pass. In January beleived them and reinstalled the starter on an 89 Ranger which resulted in a short time of a no start and strand situation. Today my 2000 Taurus has identical symptoms and once removed it tested good. I know the relay is fine, as well as the flywheel. It is the starter drive but they will not replace under warranty unless it tests bad. I decided to eat the $150.00 replacement cost though it should have been under warranty because it is not worth a strand and a tow. The counter guy told me the new starter had a lifetime warranty but what good is that when they always seem to test good on the bench???

Scott
Starter test only is free wheeling and tells if it is dead, or bearings are growling.

Common problem is pull in solenoid. It can pull in the gear but when the volts drop due to load it drops out. There is a set of elect contacts in there that do the pull in/latch. The contacts fail and the starter motor still runs but pull in may be iffy.

-chart-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts