Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 sable-wife called from work yesterday. car won't start. checked battery connections, clean as a whistle. they should be i keep them that way. plenty of battery power. turn key no click at starter. checked fuse under the hood. fine.

took hammer tapped starter. connections at starter all clean and tight. tapped starter again. Yeah it starts. able to get home.

took starter back too bennett auto, unlimited warranty. it lasted 1.8 years.
hooked it up at home. great IT STARTS. YEAH. Wife will think i am hero and forgive me for other things,not taking out trash etc.

waited couple of mins. tried again. great it starts. cleaned up and came out of apartment to pick up wife. NO START. Just a sound at the starter that sounds something like "RUUUUUUN" and then winds down. No cranking sound. Just RUUUUUN and wind down.

Took back to auto parts again. They tested starter on machine. Says fine. I requested they give me another despite, because said this happened a 1.8 years ago. Told them machines testers are unreliable (mechanic told me) they don't put same load on starter that fly wheel pushing pistons would. I don't know if that is correct. Mechanic told me.

Tomorrow is high noon. Will the starter work? Please pray for me that it will.
Because I wouldn't know what to do next. I am getting ignition and power to the starter or I wouldn't get the RUUUUUN sound, right?

Please give me comments. Scott

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
03 sable-wife called from work yesterday. car won't start. checked battery connections, clean as a whistle. they should be i keep them that way. plenty of battery power. turn key no click at starter. checked fuse under the hood. fine.

took hammer tapped starter. connections at starter all clean and tight. tapped starter again. Yeah it starts. able to get home.

took starter back too bennett auto, unlimited warranty. it lasted 1.8 years.
hooked it up at home. great IT STARTS. YEAH. Wife will think i am hero and forgive me for other things,not taking out trash etc.

waited couple of mins. tried again. great it starts. cleaned up and came out of apartment to pick up wife. NO START. Just a sound at the starter that sounds something like "RUUUUUUN" and then winds down. No cranking sound. Just RUUUUUN and wind down.

Took back to auto parts again. They tested starter on machine. Says fine. I requested they give me another despite, because said this happened a 1.8 years ago. Told them machines testers are unreliable (mechanic told me) they don't put same load on starter that fly wheel pushing pistons would. I don't know if that is correct. Mechanic told me.

Tomorrow is high noon. Will the starter work? Please pray for me that it will.
Because I wouldn't know what to do next. I am getting ignition and power to the starter or I wouldn't get the RUUUUUN sound, right?

Please give me comments. Scott
correct the tester doesnt reproduce the same amount of pressure. you are getting power to the starter. it is possible the new starter isnt seated properly or isnt tight. the noise is the gear kicking out of the starter to engage the fly wheel but isnt making contact. was the starter the same size? did you add a shim or remove one? or the kick out gear is stripped.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for response fellas. As i said i did get a second starter, even though parts guy tested it and said it works but sure didn't work when in car. Returned it--got another, the grace of God was on me because he could have said it works you don't get another. but did get it. just installed it and Oh, yeah, i'm in business.

I don't know what happened first time i received the exchange? wish i did so i could be in better position to help others.

you mentioned seeded (bigdogg) but the bolts were tights and it didn't move. could there have been another way it didn't seat correctly?

What is really bad is the auto store refused to give me another starter because the one they gave me the first time was tested in front of me and said "look it is working." But actually it wasn't in the car. Another guy in the store took me to the side and said go to the other store of ours and tell them I tested it and it doesn't work, give me mine name (had to go to other store because they were out of starter). I went and got another starter and now I'm in business. It works fine.

scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts