Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, talk about ticked. I just put in a new (well 50K engine to replace the 130K engine that the wife seized up. The engine wants to do its thing, but the starter engages as soon as the key goes to the "ON" position....not the "START"....just the "ON" and will not disengage. I burned up the original one yesterday and do not want to spend another $138.00. I was told by the salesman at the car parts store to check the ignition switch under the steering column. I did, and it checks out ok as per the Chilton book. Then I checked it against the brand new one ($19.00) and they are identical in all ranges. What is left? The key cylinder? What could be causing the starter to stay engaged? I mean this isn't rocket science....

There are only two wires that go to the starter, and my bet would be that it is something between the key and the starter....I just want to go for a ride.:angry:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The relay could be sticking. They are cheap and easily swappable with others you have. Located in the under hood fuse box.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will check the relay...IF I can find it. I will look. In the meantime, here is an update:

Well, quick update...for anyone that is actually reading this. The starter is connected and wired right. The key is an original (although programable) from Ford. I bought, then took out the old ignition switch and tested it against the book. Passed. Then took the new one I just bought and checked it against the book. Passed. Then checked the old one against the new one...Passed. Only thing left that I can think of is the key cylinder. Will pull that this evening when it is cooler. Another thing that points me to this item is that when I turn off the key and remove it, I can still turn the steering wheel. In other words the key cylinder does not seem to be locking it. Perhaps the end has come loose or is bent....although I do not know why.

I remain flabergasted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Relay and Fuse are both intact. I did trade the relays around but it is still the same problem. Unless there is something else in the system that I do not know about, I am willing to bet $1.52 that it is the cylinder...but I have no knowledge as to why it is screwed up. Well, maybe that it is a Ford, but aside from that, I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the relay is on then you might have a grounded wire going to the coil on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts