Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a 95 Taurus have a Starter relay? The autozone guy told me a taurus doesn't have a starter relay, and he wanted to sell me the solenoid.

Anybody can verify this? If it has, then could you tell me where it is located under the hood?

The car is still lying there. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A solenoid and a relay are basically the same thing there is no difference. the solenoid is really a Huge relay that can handle huge amounts of current. GOTO NAPA they are the know all. IMO and they wont insult your intelligence.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
The starter, solenoid, and relay are all part of one assembly commonly referred to as the starter. It'd probably be cheaper to just replace the starter, than to take it out, disassemble it, swap parts, and put it all back together again, hoping and praying it'll work right afterwards.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news. I just solved the problem.
When I browsing the napaonline parts, I saw a thing called ignition Tailgate relay, very similar to something under the hood. Then I went to my car, and just knocked at this thing. Then the car started!
I still don't understand what happened. But I'd like to share what I got.
Here are pics of the relay from part website, and the similar thing in my car.
thank you for all the opinions.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updated:

The grey box turned out to be a connection of the power distribution, not a relay. Previously it could be loose, and I tightened it.

But now there comes another problem. Right after being started, the engine speed swings between 400~1000rpm. It takes a minute to reach steady 800rpm.

Any idea about this speed fluctuation? Could it be caused by the change to better power connection?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts