Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 SE with a vulcan engine. My problem is the car wont turn over , no click sound, nothing, its as if I were trying to start the car while it was in R or D. I put a rebuilt starter in it last fall. I also replaced the neutral safety switch. At first I just had this problem intermittenly but now no turnover at all. I always thought that if the starter was at fault that one would here the solinoid click??? (excuse the spelling). Comments anyone?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I have a 2002 SE with a vulcan engine. My problem is the car wont turn over , no click sound, nothing, its as if I were trying to start the car while it was in R or D. I put a rebuilt starter in it last fall. I also replaced the neutral safety switch. At first I just had this problem intermittenly but now no turnover at all. I always thought that if the starter was at fault that one would here the solinoid click??? (excuse the spelling). Comments anyone?
Smack it with something and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a similar problem earlier this year. Tap the starter with a mallet or hammer a few times. If the car starts or tries to click then it's probably your issue, "get a new one". Make sure you hit the starter & not the solenoid. Otherwise, you might have bigger issues.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Had a similar problem earlier this year. Tap the starter with a mallet or hammer a few times. If the car starts or tries to click then it's probably your issue, "get a new one". Make sure you hit the starter & not the solenoid. Otherwise, you might have bigger issues.
Welcome to the forums, and you said it a lot better than me. B)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
With the introduction of PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduction) starters, beating on them is no longer a good idea. You can break up the magnets and ruin a good starter with this test method. Check the permanent hot for battery voltage, then check the solenoid signal wire for power with the key in start. If those are good pull the starter and have it tested. Usually you hear the gear assembly spinning when the starter is going bad.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
With the introduction of PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduction) starters, beating on them is no longer a good idea. You can break up the magnets and ruin a good starter with this test method. Check the permanent hot for battery voltage, then check the solenoid signal wire for power with the key in start. If those are good pull the starter and have it tested. Usually you hear the gear assembly spinning when the starter is going bad.
Thanks for noting that, I obviously had no idea. :D

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
problem solved!

machineop here, I took the old starter out had it tested at autozone found to be defective got a new one(under warranty) installed it problem solved! Thanks to all you kind gentleman out therewho gave good advice:)

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I hate to say it, but the replacement starter will probably fail again within a year. The discount parts stores "rebuilts" are often junk. Yes they have a lifetime guarantee, but the guarantee doesnt cover the hassle and inconvienence of replacing it every 6 months to a year, being stranded, tow charges, etc.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I use new Bosch starters when I need one. Never had a problem yet.

·
Registered
23,349 Posts
^+1 on the junk az starters. Replaced 3 on a windstar in 2-3 yrs. When youre laying on your back in subfreezing weather in snow lifetime warr. takes on a whole different meaning.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Athlough they use different terminology, most parts stores carry three lines of electromechanical parts: cheap rebuilt, good rebuilt, and new. The cheap rebuilt usually have one signle offending bad part repalced by the remanufacturer, and they often fail again very soon. The fully rebuilt/midgrade part usually has all wear items replaced with new ones, and these are pretty reliable. New in theory is best, but it depends on the quality of the manufacturer. I bought a brand new Remy starter for my 97 Ranger last year for $150 that was bad right out of the box.

Anyway main point is don't buy the cheap rebuilts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts