Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my 2002 Taurus OHV vin U a couple months ago now, just sitting in my parking lot so I can get it on the road for when I get my license back (but that's another story)

Anyway, since I got the car the starter's been fairly intermittent. Once I put my new battery in the starter turned slowly the first couple starts but did eventually start. I then broke a thermostat bolt so it sat for a week or so without being run. That's when the problem started.

The car started fine after I fixed the bolt, no slow turning starter or anything. Started like a brand new car despite the oldish gas and cracked PCV elbow. Left it running for about an hour, driving around the lot just to try and rub some rust off the brakes. I went in for lunch and when I came back out it wouldn't start. Nothing at all from the starter. All electronics work and lights are bright so the battery should be fine, also it's a brand new battery.

After I broke the therm. bolt I did run the car to see how bad it would leak. It squirted ALOT of coolant in the general direction of the starter, exhaust manifold, and generally everywhere (I basically just had to move the car).

My question is can coolant on the starter cause it not to work, and is there anything else that could cause these symptoms? Also if I disassemble the starter could I clean it out and how?

I'm just trying to save $150 on a starter if I don't need one, thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what the voltage is, I can't find my multimeter anywhere, seems I probably left it in my old apartment. But if the voltage was low shouldn't the starter still try and spin, instead of suddenly dying like it did?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I meant to put in my first post I did try and jump the starter by bridging the terminals with a pair of bent nose pliers. I saw sparks but the starter did nothing, but I couldn't see if I had them on the right terminals because the exhaust is in the way so I gave up after a try.

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
Not neccesarily, if you are not pushing enough amps you are not going to move the starter. You can try a direct jumper from batt positive to the ign terminal on the starter, charge the battery or swap with a known good battery. This is all assuming you have already checked the terminals BTW

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I plan on removing the starter hopefully Friday weather permitting, so I'll try and jump it from the battery while it's out, I want to clean up the outside of the starter anyway because of the coolant on it and that'll be easier with it off the car. Whether it does or doesn't start I'm going to have Wal-mart test the battery before spending any money. I'm sure the battery was charging because I've probably run the car 5-6 hours total on that battery.

Is it possible a seal on the starter or solenoid can go bad and cause it to short? The car was sitting for 6 months or more without running and the starter had coolant shot onto it.

EDIT: the battery terminals seem clean and tight, wires look fairly new and I think the old owner told me they were replace recently, not sure why though. Can't get a good view of the terminals on the starter until I get new jack stands but they will be cleaned and tight when I can get at em.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help jag1959 on this and my other threads, never had access to garages and tools and all that fun stuff so I'm still learning.

I'm gonna update this when I get under the car and make some progress

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
NP. Paying it forward is why a lot of us are here. As far as testing goes if the battery & connections are good try a hot jumper before pulling the starter. It will be helpful for diagnostic purposes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think my oil pan gasket is leaking, the oil level is the same as when I got it, but it won't hurt to check.

Is it fairly easy to clean the guts of a starter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got about five months to get the car road worthy, plenty of time for diagnostics, unfortunately money is an issue, so ill start with a multimeter and work my way down to the starter

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
For multimeter checks, make sure the battery has about 12.25 volts or more at rest, and you maintain 10 volts or more during cranking (you need a helper).

Trying to jump start it off another running vehicle is also quick and easy to try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just took my old starter off (only had enough cash left for either jack stands or a multimeter so I went for the stands). Used jumper cables to test the starter and it did nothing, but that was off the same battery so that doesn't tell me much. I'm just gonna have the battery and starter tested and if it is the starter i'm gonna try and have it rebuilt. Good thing the Taurus is an easy car to work on lol.

One quick question though: should the hole where the gear that the starter engages (the flywheel?) be covered up while the starter is off? They're calling for alot of rain tomorrow and I dont wanna kill my engine over something stupid. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One more question. Today I tried jump starting the car before I took off the starter and couldn't get anything out of it. Radio and lights work. The headlights seemed dim the other day but it was sunny out so that probably played a roll in it.

My question is should I even bother testing the battery based on the fact that it's a brand new battery and everything works fine? It's not that I don't want to test the battery it's just that I'll probably have to take the bus with it and I'd rather avoid doing that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts