Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now the starter has been dragging when we start the car. It's a 96 Sable with DOHC 3.0 Duratech. The alternator was replaced back in the spring. The battery is a 2 year battery and is only a year old. But for some reason when we go to start it, the starter drags. Well, this morning my wife drops off our son at the baby sitter before work and comes out and the car just clicks and won't start. I figure the batter is faulty and has a dead cell. A while back we had the battery tested and it came back ok.

So I just went on and didn't worry much about it. So now since it won't start, I thought the battery had a dead cell (and I know from experience that a dead cell can still pass on the analysis machine but still be a bad battery) so I replaced tha battery and same thing. Just click instead of starting. I checked the ground cables and they seem tight. I know the terminals were tight since I just put in the battery.

Now I figure the starter is bad so I ordered a new one and hope to have it installed tomorrow. Does anyone know what else this might be if not the starter? If I put the new starter in and it still just clicks, then what could it be?

I read in the manual something about a transmission sensor. Why on Earth would an engineer tie anything from the tranny into the starting system? geez

Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The starter should fix the problem, especially if it has been dragging and overheating the unit.

The transmission "sensor" is the switch that won't let you start it in D or R. Kind of like a clutch safety switch on a manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
What kind of click? Is it a fast rapid repeating click or a solid thick metal click that only happens once when the key is turned?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The starter should fix the problem, especially if it has been dragging and overheating the unit.

The transmission "sensor" is the switch that won't let you start it in D or R. Kind of like a clutch safety switch on a manual transmission.
[/b]
OK, that answers the transmission question.

What kind of click? Is it a fast rapid repeating click or a solid thick metal click that only happens once when the key is turned?
[/b]
Right now it's just a solid one click.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I put on a brand new starter and still nothing.

I noticed that there was anti freeze on the starter and the wires. Who ever did a service in the past just left the anti freeze all over the place there. I'm thinking maybe the hot wire to the solenoid may be really corroded and maybe it's just not getting contact. If I fix that and it still doesn't start, i am lost and don't know what to do.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You definately want to clean every terminal on the starter when you put a new one in. Sorry should have mentioned that before. Good luck happy T-day!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate that link, but I don't have one of those meters and I have been laid off for quite a while and don't have the extra money for tools right now. It's killing me to buy parts. That article is for the Vulcan engine and my Duratec is not as easy to get too as that one. I cannot get to the solenoid from underneath. In fact, I had to take out the battery, the battery tray and disconnect a coolant hose just to get my hands in from the top to get to the top starter bolt and the solenoid nuts off. I'm really getting tired of working on this car. It seems that everything that needs replaced on it, requires half the engine to be torn apart to get to it. That includes when I did a simple tune up. I'm really trying to like this car but every time I work on it, i find myself cussing the Ford and Mazda engineers. What happened to the good ole days when Ford mounted their solenoids on the fender wells or firewalls? Ford USED to be easier to work on then GM. My 94 Bonneville is 10 time easier to work on then this Sable is.

Sorry, I had to rant. haha

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The click means the relay is good and power is getting to the starter. One way to test for voltage without a meter is to turn on the headlights and see how much they dim when holding the key on.

If they go real dim the starter is drawing juice and either the battery is no good or the starter. If the lights just barely dim then the starter is not pulling current. Either the starter solenoid contacts are bad, cable connection is bad somewhere between the battery and the starter or the starter windings are open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts