Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem with the starter (at least I think it's the starter) Went out to the store fine but when I went to leave it wouldn't start...not even a click. Battery terminals are fine and I tried jumping it but still nothing. A friend mentioned hitting the starter with a hammer just to give it a jolt...that got it to click, but it still didn't even turn over at all.

I replaced the solenoid...cheaper option plus no stores around me had any starters...but that didn't do anything...it didn't even click.

Does anyone know if there is anything else to try other than replacing the starter?

It was also suggested to clean the starter by taking the back off and cleaning the brushes and whatnot. Does anyone know a guide to doing that?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
If you have an automatic transmission, try starting in neutral. It could be the transmission position sensor (TPS). Or the cable might have slipped on the TPS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know what starters will fit in a 94 sho, atx? 3.2 engine? I want to call some junk yards around, but don't know what else will fit if they don't have my specific year and model.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried in neutral and nothing. I rolled the car back incase the flywheel was jammed and still nothing. The wires on the starter were cleaned and that didn't help, and the battery is only a few months old at most. lol not sure where else to look other than a new starter.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would look at the cables. No click means no juice. But it could be the trigger wire coming from the ignition.

IIRC the SHO starter is unique. And the '94-'95 is even more unique.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where should I check on the cables? the battery terminal ends are clean and the end that attaches to the solenoid was just cleaned when I took it off. Where is the trigger wire located?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Check the cables first with an OHM meter. There should be less than 1 ohm resistance. Then check them using the millivolt range when cranking. Lower the better. Too high of a reading and that means there is a voltage drop when current is flowing.

The trigger wire is the small one on the solenoid. It goes through the ignition switch then transmission range switch to the solenoid. If there is no clicking then this is the first place to look.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the wiring and the fuses and all seemed fine. I took out the starter again and opened it up and saw that 2 of the 4 brushes were totally worn down to the edge so they didn't stick out at all. I'm guessing this has a major reason to do with it not working. Does anyone think I shouldn't try and replace them and see if that works? Or should I just get a new starter considering how oily and greasy it was when I opened it up?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should I re-grease anything inside or is it supposed to be dry? There are three smaller gears inside a larger one that aren't quite dirty, but just have a layer of grease? If I clean it off should I put more grease on? And if so, what kind would you recommend?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would use a lithium grease, not much. Is the commutator worn down any? How deep are the grooves?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately I didn't take much notice to the communicator and how deep the grooves were...and of course, I put it back on the car so I didn't have the flywheel exposed all night. How far worn down would be too far? I'm using this page as a guide to it's construction, if the communicator matched the picture on here would it be in ok condition to reuse?
http://www.p71interceptor.com/starter/disassembled/

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Usually if you can see wear on the commutator where the brushes ride then it is too far worn.

As far as grease I would put a light coat on the starter drive parts and the end bushings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay, ill look carefully at the communicator.
so no grease needed on the planetary gears?
basically I will try to clean everything best I can with electrcal parts cleaner and replace the brushes and hope that will do it.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If there was originally some grease there then I would put some more. Wouldn't hurt. Just don't use to much so that it might get into the brush area.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True, good call. It seems like grease is on those gears...but then again it is so dirty inside there it could just be from something getting in there.

Thanks for all your help! hopefully the rain holds off so I can work on it asap.
Can it do any damage to leave the flywheel exposed over a day or two if it takes a while to clean the starter? Or is it just too risky that something could get in there?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Success! I replaced the brushes and cleaned all inside (it was pretty nasty)...put on a new solenoid and it fired right up. Thanks for your help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts