Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In rapid succession my 2004 Ford Taurus SE started getting a little harder to start until finally it would not start at all. It clicked for a few tries after that but now does nothing. I know virtually nothing about cars but I'm thinking it's probably the starter motor.

I used to have a mechanic who would do this kind of repair, but he's too busy. I have another friend with some mechanical skill and plenty of mechanical courage who wants to do the replacement. Obviously we'll take it to AutoZone to have the old starter tested, but my previous mechanic said he didn't have the specialized tools for the job.

What kind of tools or special techniques are required to replace a starter motor? I saw a YouTube video of a 2003 Taurus starter motor replacement and it looked pretty straightforward.

Is it a tough job requiring special skills and equipment? Or just someone who knows what he is doing?

Thank you for your time,
Bob Caster
Dallas

·
Registered
697 Posts
Check to make sure your battery isn't dying first.

There are no special tools needed - just a 15mm socket (I think).

You have to disconnect the electric cables to the starter - disconnect battery (+) cable before you start.

Then loosen and remove the 2 bolts holding the starter in place.

Probably help to remove the air dam under the bumper first.

Starter will probably be greasy if the car has the OHV Vulcan engine because removing the oil filter causes oil to drip right down on it.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The starter may be "stuck" to the block even after removing the 2 hold down bolts. Whatever you do, DO NOT take both hands off of it at the same time to get a better grip to pull it loose with. It may spontaneously come loose, fall, and hit you square in the forehead (possibly knocking you unconscious), causing a very bloody greasy head wound. Don't ask me how I know this....

·
Registered
541 Posts
In my opinion the Taurus vulcan engine has one of the easiest starter motors to replace. All the bolts/nuts are fairly accessable. You just loosen them, drop down the starter, make your electrical connections and slap it back up in there, fairly simple job! Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really enjoy being a member of this forum, even if all I can contribute is problems. It's a very secure feeling knowing you guys have my back.

Thanks for this and all the previous help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts