Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '92 3.0U starts great when cold, but shut it down hot and try to restart and it acts like the battery's dead. I'm also throwing a charge light at lower rpms. The alt/reg has been tested off car and is fine. I replaced the batt-to-ground cable when I discovered it had corroded almost in two at the batt., and was checking the positive side of things when I found a questionable starter wire - it's bare for a couple of inches under the loom, and very stiff. I cannot find helpful info anywhere regarding whether this is a fusible link that's bad, or just a melted wire. This would be the smaller of the two wires going to the starter solenoid, as opposed to the large gauge wire coming from the relay tier (and then the batt). The smaller one goes up into another loomed bundle. As the starter/solenoid is directly under the oil filter, it wouldn't surprise me if it fried over time. Wiring diagrams that I've found are not detailed enough to show much info on starting/charging wiring. If it is a fusible link, what do I ask for at NAPA to replace it, or do I need the dealer? Any help or insight would be appreciated!!!:(

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
My '92 3.0U starts great when cold, but shut it down hot and try to restart and it acts like the battery's dead. I'm also throwing a charge light at lower rpms. The alt/reg has been tested off car and is fine. I replaced the batt-to-ground cable when I discovered it had corroded almost in two at the batt., and was checking the positive side of things when I found a questionable starter wire - it's bare for a couple of inches under the loom, and very stiff. I cannot find helpful info anywhere regarding whether this is a fusible link that's bad, or just a melted wire. This would be the smaller of the two wires going to the starter solenoid, as opposed to the large gauge wire coming from the relay tier (and then the batt). The smaller one goes up into another loomed bundle. As the starter/solenoid is directly under the oil filter, it wouldn't surprise me if it fried over time. Wiring diagrams that I've found are not detailed enough to show much info on starting/charging wiring. If it is a fusible link, what do I ask for at NAPA to replace it, or do I need the dealer? Any help or insight would be appreciated!!!:(
Slow cranking hot, but OK cold is the sign of a worn out starter. The small wire to the starter had a history of bad connections. Back in the day, they made a kit to make it more robust as the factory female spade connecor was weak and it was explsed to weather making corrosion.

-chart-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bad starter?

So would a failing starter cause the wire to get so hot as to melt the insulation back several inches? And here's the rub: The end of the wire that actually goes to the solenoid is perfect, with a robust ring terminal, and looks like it was spliced to the (now) melted wire (red w/blue stripe). Could this be the "fix" Chart mentioned? This is why I thought there might be a fusible link there, because of the "perfect" wire from the solenoid, spliced in to the "melty" wire going up into the harness. I also don't want to splice a piece of wire in there if there is supposed to be a fusible link - I don't want to burn up an entire harness! Any thoughts for my poor old gen 2 vulcan?:unsure:

Thanks for info on starter, Chart, I will have it tested!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts