Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not to hijack my own thread but yesterday when I made the decision to buy a new starter went to Rock Auto, chose a new starter, AC Delco when attempting to pay the shopping cart it came up as we will not ship to your address because your order attempts to collect sales tax both at the state level as well as municipal. We cannot determine the local tax because we have no local presence in your community. Any one else experience this frustration???
Not to throw a wrench at your monkey, but ordered a starter from DB Electric (less than $50), shipped in less than 4 days, installed in an hour, off & running.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Since I am officially cut off from Rock Auto, any suggestions on where to buy Motorcraft parts other than dealer? When I replaced my fuel pump bought new Motorcraft from Rock Auto. Same with cam synchronizer, new Motorcraft from Rock Auto. Follow Jeff K's advice and buy the best quality part you can. I have an Advance Auto rebuilt alternator but was nearly stranded in North Platte, Nebraska on the way back to Colorado at Christmas, 2016. Limped into their parking lot off I-80 and managed to change it out in their parking lot. Wish it was new, but am stuck for the moment. Rebuilt alternator installed 12-26-2016. Failed November 3,2019. This one cost me a tow from outside Boulder to the home driveway. By the way the the recent replacement alternator first one was bad out of the box. Like sheila, now have no confidence in bench testing.

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Been stranded by rebuilt starter motors. A couple times on the same replacement. So be glad it failed right away! :--)

The eventual solution was to tell my mechanic, "stop messing with that one and go buy a new one". That worked just fine the 1st time. Clearly, the strength of the motor needed to actually start your car is one thing and the strength required by the bench tests is another. Ne'er the twain shall meet, apparently.

·
Registered
23,030 Posts
^+1. Years ago, went through 3 AZ "lifetime" starters on the inlaws' '98 Windstar within a year and a half. Not worth my time and aggravation! Upgraded starter and all was fine 'til some S.O.B. stole the P.O.S., lol. Moral to the story: Buy good/new starters, or have them rebuilt at an auto elec. shop and don't leave your soccer mom van idling, unlocked and unattended while you go in QuikTrip to pay for gas, smokes and a slurpee, lol!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey olrogdog,

I am happy for you to find a $50.00 starter, free shipping, off and running. Throw as many wrenches at my monkey as you wish Last year I was stranded twice by parts store rebuilt parts, one a water pump, then an alternator. Most recently stranded by the rebuilt starter. Two of the three involved tows which more than cost the difference between a rebuilt and new part. The alternator failed suddenly and without warning. Five days earlier on a Sunday we were 150 miles from home in North Cheyenne Canyon at Helen Hunt Falls west of Colorado Springs. I am grateful the alternator did not fail then 150 miles from my driveway and on Sunday. I hope your starter outlasts the car!!! Good luck. Back in the 80's had a Dodge that I bought a lifetime rebuilt alternator. I think I replaced that thing at least eight times until I junked the car. It never stranded me and was not difficult to change. Checker Auto never gave me any problem, just replaced it. Back in the day was buying a 12 pack of oil for like 29 cents a quart after rebate.

Scott

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
JY starter for DOHC. Maybe cost $12-$15 or so. Took it apart, checked it out for brush life, put it on. Found it was not the issue. Flex plate gear had a bad place on the gear. I took this off a car in the JY that was easiest to access. Got it from under the car. Kept the other starter and will likely never need it. Have 3 G-4's DOHC in my herd but that starter is a life time machine.
Mist Vulcan fails are oil related. However G-1's had a wire connector problem. Wire fix was available back in the day.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
23,030 Posts
^+1. I had 6 gen3 tecs with 200k-400k mi. on all of them without 1 starter fail. Impressive! Also no alternator, eng. or trans. failures, although I did r&r tec alts. for a couple of other people.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts