Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started last night.. I'm going through with everything though. I washed it yesterday afternoon and ran my fingers over the finish and it was very rough.. So I went back to the store and bought a clay bar kit. The difference this stuff makes is amazing.. I still can't believe it. My finish was so rough before, and now its as smooth as a brand new car's finish. If you have never used clay bar before and your car is a few years old.. you have to try this stuff.

Then I'm going with Maguires swirl remover.. I just started this last night. Then I'm going to put on Maguires #9 show car glaze, and then top it off with some of that NXT Tech Wax. Then I'll hopefully get some pictures of it. I still have a few more hours of work ahead of me today, but it'll all be worth it. I've never put this much work into my car before. I usually just wash it and throw a coat of wax on there.. but every car out there deserves to get the full detailing treatment at least once a year.

Clay bar is amazing.. heh. I'm still thrilled over the difference it made. You have to try it if you haven't before.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
You mean #7 Show car glaze? ;) #9 is SMR (swirl mark remover).

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
What clay bar did you get? Clay Magic blue bar is my fav :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah.. #7, I noticed that just as I started putting it on. I needed some serious elbow grease to get that stuff on.. but the results are unbelievable. I'm taking a short break here before I go back to put the NXT wax on.. then I'm taking it out to get some pictures. Its a perfect day for it too, its sunny and there is barely a cloud in the sky.

I bought the Mothers clay bar kit, it was the only one I could find for sale here. Came with the clay, California gold detailing spray and a small thing of wax that I have no use for. This is the first time I've ever used clay.. I'll definitely be using it again whenever I need it

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Mother s sucks imo, get some clay magic, you will be surprsied at the difference that CM makes. Mothers bar is just not aggresive at all. Clay does have levels of aggresiveness.

I don't think #7 or #9 are really meant for the sun, you have to watch that stuff. I know your arm is getting a heck of a work out if you are doing it by hand (at least if done properly) ;)

Good luck, and definately post pics :)

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by snakeeyes@May 30 2004, 09:51 PM
What is a claybar? And whats it supposed to do??
Clay bar pulls contaminants out of the paint. Stuff becomes embedded in your paint, and simple washing doesn't do it. The test for claying is to wash your car and put a zip lock baggie over your hand. Feels gritty? Like sandpaper? that is stuff embedded in your paint. Clay bar pulls these out. After you are done, the paint will feel SUPER smooth, like glass, it's a cool feeling :cool_shades:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sandpaper-like described my paint before I used the clay bar. I did notice with the Mothers clay bar that I had to go over most sections a few times before it was completely smooth. Are the others better at getting most particles out in one pass?

I finished this evening though.. it looks great. No pictures tonight though, it started raining outside just as I was finishing up. I'll get to it tomorrow definitely. I just have to get to the door jams tomorrow morning and under the license plates and I'll be done.

It was definitely a lot of tough work (especially the #7.. arg), and I must have 5 or 6 mosquito bites on my arms (you can't shut the garage door fast enough with this things), but it was all worth it

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by mapleleafs@May 31 2004, 02:13 AM
Sandpaper-like described my paint before I used the clay bar. I did notice with the Mothers clay bar that I had to go over most sections a few times before it was completely smooth. Are the others better at getting most particles out in one pass?

I finished this evening though.. it looks great. No pictures tonight though, it started raining outside just as I was finishing up. I'll get to it tomorrow definitely. I just have to get to the door jams tomorrow morning and under the license plates and I'll be done.

It was definitely a lot of tough work (especially the #7.. arg), and I must have 5 or 6 mosquito bites on my arms (you can't shut the garage door fast enough with this things), but it was all worth it
Yes, there are different levels of aggressiveness with claybar. I think Mother's is very mild. I love Clay Magic, it's a nice size bar as well (Mother's is kinda small), and the lube lasts a long time. Another bad thing about Mother's, the lube I have found to dry up rather quick. I was hoping to have nice enough weather this weekend to do my underbody, but we had awful weather yesterday :(

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@May 31 2004, 12:24 PM
Wait, do you clay your underbody?!? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding your post... :huh:
No, not claying the underbody ;) Just washing the underbody :)

G

·
Originally posted by n2_space+May 31 2004, 09:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (n2_space @ May 31 2004, 09:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-XLSuruaT@May 31 2004, 12:24 PM
Wait, do you clay your underbody?!?  Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding your post... :huh:
No, not claying the underbody ;) Just washing the underbody :) [/b][/quote]
Cool, for a minute there, I almost thought you were insa....nevermind.

Guess I'll try out that clay magic bar. I currently use mothers, but I haven't looked at anything else out there. The qd on the mothers dries really fast, does clay magic dry up that fast? Clay magic will not rip off the clear coat, right?

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts

Cool, for a minute there, I almost thought you were insa....nevermind.
:p

Guess I'll try out that clay magic bar.  I currently use mothers, but I haven't looked at anything else out there.  The qd on the mothers dries really fast, does clay magic dry up that fast?  Clay magic will not rip off the clear coat, right?
Clay does not hurt your paint (so long as you use it correctly). The lube that clay magic comes with seems to last much long than the Mother's stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts