Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem started with no power at all when ignition was turned on. Trunk latch would not release from in the car or with remote, only with the key. Engine wouldn't crank, nothing. When I hook jumpers to the battery it will start. Battery is charged. It will not start unless it is jumped. The keyless entry will not even work. There is a clicking noise coming from in the dash, appears to be coming from in back of the speedometer area, this even occurs when the key is turned off and removed. I also noticed that the speedometer needle is slightly jumping when the key is turned off while the clicking sound is going on. This occurs for approximately 15 seconds or so after the key is turned off. I was wondering if there is some sort of relay up in that area that could be giving me the problem. At first I thought maybe it was the starter or a bad cable, but all the connections seem to be good. After it was jumped then the key less entry, electronic locks and trunk latch worked then, but the car will still not crank on its own. It has to be jumped. When I get it started and the clicking in the dash starts, the lights flutter. Then when I step on brake, the Check Brake System light comes on in the dash. When I put it in gear and start to move, the car dies.

Could the Instrument Cluster be bad?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

2004 Taurus SE
3.0 vulcan

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sounds like the battery is cooked. Have it load tested by a shop or parts store.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's showing 12.9 volts. If the battery is shorted inside would it cause all this strange stuff to happen?

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Measuring no load voltage on a batt tells you almost nothing. Very good chance your batt is toast.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
If you are getting a repetitive clicking noise, it is deffinitely the battery, My mom has an 05 taurus tec and my dad an 05 sable tec and in BOTH cases, when the battery went bad it did the exact thing, my moms car would actually click for awhile, start, then the cluster needles would bounce up and down until the battery got charged enough. Get your battery load tested, voltage readings tell you nothing, if the battery is shot, its the amperage that you lose.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
If you are getting a repetitive clicking noise, it is deffinitely the battery, My mom has an 05 taurus tec and my dad an 05 sable tec and in BOTH cases, when the battery went bad it did the exact thing, my moms car would actually click for awhile, start, then the cluster needles would bounce up and down until the battery got charged enough. Get your battery load tested, voltage readings tell you nothing, if the battery is shot, its the amperage that you lose.
Also, If car wont run long enough to drive to auto parts store or anywhere, just pull the batt and take it to an auto parts store or a walmart for a free load test; battery does not have to be in car to be tested.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was it. Had it load tested and went zero. Man, that does some wierd things when the battery goes bad. Almost acted like it was possessed,and on holloween too.
Thank's alot for the input everyone.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.