Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1995 Taurus GL Wgn. 3.0 111k miles, Stalls randomly within 1st mile. I live in the cold upstate NY.

My sad but true (abbreviated) story:

Dec. 2002, Car died while driving 30 MPH, would not restart, towed to a garage where they replaced gas tank, Fuel pump, fuel filter, Multi-function relay and fixed short (real cause of problem) to inertia switch. $600+

July 2003, Replaced TFI b/c of stalling when hot. $0 by Ford.

Aug 2003, Still stalling when hot, I replaced Spark plugs, wires, dist. cap, coil and rotor. And Multi-Function Relay (MFR) from junk yard.

Sept 2003, Still stalling, Replaced fuel pump (was bad) and filter, under warranty. $15.
Went a few months without stalling, now stalls when cold.

Jan. 2004, Stalled in front at gas station, after being driven less than half mile. Would not restart. Mechanic said inertia was not getting power. Could not find problem, replaced junk yard MFR with the one I got in Dec 2002 and car started.

Jan 2004, stalled within half mile after being started, did restart ok and not stall again that day.

Feb 2004, stalled within half mile after being started, did restart ok and not stall again that day.

This week, left over night at garage, car stalled on them right away and would not restart. They checked for spark first and did NOT find it. While testing some more they blow a big fuss under the hood. After replacing it the car started. Since then I driven the car on my street 6 times without stalling.

So, what is my problem? Could it be a single short that cuts power to inertia switch and spark?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
PCM problems maybe? Are you getting a check engine light? If so what are the codes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

No check engine light.

Where is the PCM located? Can I replace it with one from the junk yard?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The PCM is located behind the glove compartment IIRC. I think you can use a junkyard computer if the car you got it from is the same year and motor as your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help. I got tried of throwing money at it and not finding the cause of the stalling, so, I traded the Taurus in and got a 2001 Toyota Sienna minivan with 28k. FYI, I got around $1200 for it, 1995 with 112k, a few rust spots, a jumpy speedo. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts