Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Taurus has been randomly stalling at idle. I am currently at 135K miles. I am able to restart the engine after pumping the gas pedal. I checked for OBDII codes even though the check engine light isn't on and it returned P1237 Fuel Pump Secondary circuit fault. Do you know how to troubleshoot it and determine if there is an issue with the fuel delivery system? I had the fuel filter changed 20k miles ago. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I hope this reply doesn't sound indifferent.

I looked up the Ford shop manusl for P1237. The error requires checking sensors and wires between Fuel Pump and Fuel Pump Driver Module. Diagnostic is a multistep process, not difficult but several steps that span over several pages. You really need the manual yourself, unless someone recently solved the code and can guide you step by step. Personally, I haven't had the code before.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't start

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. After this nasty snowstorm right before Halloween, now our Taurus won't start. Maybe the fuel pump is dead due to electrical failure? I do have the ford maintenance manuals. I tried doing the KOEO test, and was not able to hear any noise from the fuel pump at the back of the car. We have recently purchased AAA and will have it towed to a mechanic. If there is anything you could tell me to try before I send it there, it would be appreciated. Otherwise thanks for your help.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Maybe swap the fuel pump relay in the underhood power distribution box with another non-critical like one for testing purposes. Also, try thumping on the fuel tank with a rubber mallet and see if it starts. If it does, pump is probably failing. Check the fuel pump cut-off switch behind the carpet on the pass. side of the trunk. Make sure the red button is depressed and its plugged in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taurus started but why, I don't know yet

Thanks! This is sound advice! Funny thing when my Taurus didn't start yesterday, I checked the inertia switch in the trunk and it was pressed and verified no issue. I moved around the electrical connector wires to verify a connection to the fuel pump below the gas tank. Also I moved and pressed in the fuse and the relay for the fuel system (I think it was position 16 and 30). Then I tried starting the engine and it started. But as it idled, it sounded like it was hunting for proper idle. I gave it a little gas to return idle to normal.

Maybe the inertia switch connector under the gas tank (and fuel pump) is failing? Maybe salt and other road debris is damaging the connector? The connector is running from the rear of the vehicle to the fuel pump. I have some electrical contact cleaner. I could pull the connector and possibly clean it of corrosion.

By the way, code 1237 refers to a fault in the connection to a Fuel Pump Driver Module. Is this below the gas tank? Am I looking at this unit instead of the fuel pump? I read that the FPDM was under the rear seat bottom and I pulled that and didn't see much but insulation.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stalling

My Taurus was stalling pretty often. I decided to check for OBDII codes and got code P0191. This still points to the fuel system. My guess is that the fuel system is starting to fail. It must be due to low fuel pressure. Although I don't know how to check fuel pressure. I'm probably going to take it to the shop tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
You can read fuel pressure with a decent scan tool, but if it reads low, you dont know if the sensor is faulty or the pressure is low due to a failing pump. There is another recent thread on this... Look for "P0191, FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At the shop

I took it to a shop and they checked the fuel pressure. Since the pressure was 40PSI, they told me that there is nothing to do. Because the issue is intermittent and the Taurus ran normal for them, they can't really prove that anything is wrong with the Taurus. They said the pump is getting the proper voltage and that everything is working fine. My thinking is that they want me to get total fuel system failure before I get the faulty part replaced. This is so frustrating.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus DOHC 24V and this is interesting that the gas pedal doesn't help prime the fuel lines. Maybe I should turn the key to ON, then wait a few secs (multiple times, if necessary) for the pressure to build up in the fuel lines. I'll try that. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus DOHC 24V and this is interesting that the gas pedal doesn't help prime the fuel lines. Maybe I should turn the key to ON, then wait a few secs (multiple times, if necessary) for the pressure to build up in the fuel lines. I'll try that. Thanks.
FYI ".. gas pedal doesn't help prime the fuel lines.."

Pressing or pumping the pedal does nothing for at least 25 years since fuel injection came on board.

If you press it while cranking, it will confuse the car's computer.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
All injected cars should be started by turning the key on, waiting a few seconds then crank it without touching the gas pedal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
it is getting worse

So the repair shop that I took my Taurus to didn't find anything wrong. They actually said it is best to get total failure of the part before replacing. I sort of agree with that. I don't think that replacing the fuel pump is an easy project for one person. But the shop did give me an estimate to replace the fuel pump of around $600. Next I got a quote from the Ford dealer and they said $1000. My engine is stalling a lot and finally the check engine light is on! So I'll hook up my scanner and verify the code. The Motorcraft part for the fuel pump is: 6F1Z9H307A.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fpdm

Does anyone know where I can get the Fuel Pump Driver Module? I looked online at Rockauto.com and I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Replaced the fuel pump

Sorry for the late reply but I finally replaced the fuel pump. This was my call since the repair shop did not find anything wrong. The check engine light has been on for awhile with the 2 codes listed before (P0191 and P1237). Plus the car would stall randomly and would be difficult to start sometimes. I am not handy enough to change the fuel pump myself so I had a local car repair shop do it for me to the cost of $675. The check engine light is now off. They said that they do a lot of replacements of the fuel pump on American brand cars when it's mounted in the gas tank. In their experience, these types of fuel pumps typically last around 100K+ miles. Mine was replaced at 136K so results vary. Thanks for all your responses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts