Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 93 taurus with the 3.0 and the past two days it has stalled on me right after i started it up, the first time after 5 minutes the car started right back up and was fine, the second time the car would not start up and kept cranking sounding like it like started but wouldnt catch so i left the car for a few hours and then it started right up, does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
A number of things can cause the kind of random stall you have, so as been suggested, listen for the fuel pump to come on & run at KOER for 2 seconds then turn off, before you try to crank the engine with the starter.

If you can hear it run for two seconds & turn off, do a fuel pressure check at the fuel rail schrader valve test port, you should have around 40 psi with the engine off.
With the engine running you should have a min of 28 psi, but most run around 30-35 psi with the vacuum hose attached to the fuel pressure regulator.

Pull the FPR vacuum line, check to see if it's wet inside with fuel, if it is, replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator. With the engine running, vacuum line loose but plugged, you should have the same psi as you got at KOEO, then with the vacuum line attached, it should drop, but not below 28 psi, mine runs at 30-31 psi.
The fuel delivery rate is 1/2 pint/15 seconds. If it's low, suspect a clogged fuel filter, clogged, pinched, kinked fuel delivery or fuel return line, or a fuel pump problem, or a voltage drop, or ground problem to the pump. You can easily do a pump voltage drop test at the trunk mounted inertia switch & that'll check most of the wiring to the pump, but not to it's connection at the pump, as you'd have to lower the tank to do that.

If all that checks out ok, check for spark. If no spark, have the ignition control module (ICM) tested, as it's a common problem part for your kind of stall, as it can cool off & come back alive until it gets hot again. Most auto parts stores can/will bench check it at no charge.

If spark is ok, do you hear any underhood relay chatter when starting, or when it stalls, or have the cooling fan cycle on when they aren't needed??? If so, check the IRCM located atop the upper radiator support, drivers side close to the battery, under the plastic splash shield that has the emissions lable on it. There are two ground connections on the upper radiator support between the IRCM & the battery, along with a battery to body ground connection, that often get corroded or loose, so check those first. They need to be clean, bright & tight. Also about a foot or so below the IRCM ground points, is an electrical connector for those two IRCM ground wires, so pull it & check it's pins/sockets for corrosion. The location of these grounds being so close to the battery & road spray, especially if you live in the rust belt, make them prone to corrosion problems that'll cause your type of stall.

If all that checks out ok & you know the distributor is ok & it's shaft bearing isn't worn & wobbling, or the hall effect pick up in the distributor, or it's wiring to the ICM aren't damaged, or the ICM wiring to the ignition coil, or eletrical connector or wiring to the computer isn't damaged, maybe suspect the computer, especially if you have IRCM relay chatter, fuel pump or cooling fan relay chatter or the cooling fan randomly cycling on or off.

I just recently went through this kind of random stall with random IRCM relay chatter, cooling fan cycling on when it wasn't needed, trouble shoot with my 94 3.8L, & it seems to have been the computer, as I've just replaced it after doing the above drill down voltage tests, wiring wiggle, thump test trouble shoot & am in the process of driving it to see if my random stall is fixed.

A bunch of thoughts for consideration. Keep us posted on your trouble shoot.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Bump:

i have a 93 taurus with the 3.0 and the past two days it has stalled on me right after i started it up, the first time after 5 minutes the car started right back up and was fine, the second time the car would not start up and kept cranking sounding like it like started but wouldnt catch so i left the car for a few hours and then it started right up, does anybody have any ideas?
Well Harry, how did your trouble shoot go, curious minds would like to know.

My stall was being caused by the ECM/computer causing various things to act out as outlined in my above post. The final clue was it stalling on my way for a state inspection & the fuel pump was still running, so spark was also randomally going missing & the ICM doesn't control or cause the fuel pump, or cooling fan relay in the IRCM to operate or act out, only the ECM/computer does, which also has a hand in spark, so that was my final clue that the ECM/computer was the root cause of my random stall woes. Yup it would stall, but immediately crank, start right back up & run like nothing had happened.

As I said above, replaced that ECM puppy with a reman & it hasn't missed a lick since.

Seeing as you have the 3.0L Vulcan & your ICM is located in the hot engine compartment, it probably belongs on your suspect list, if you haven't already put the fix on your stall problem. Anyway would be interesting to hear what you've found.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Are 93 vulcans equipped with TFI and PIP?
Vulcans and Essex through '95 used a distributer. My '90 ign module on the dist, the '92 was on the firewall. Same hall effect in the dist. They fail. The dist flags signal the spark, and fuel injectors. One flag is shorter and sends a different signal so the car knows which signal is #1.

I had one hall effect fail, and two modules fail. One died, suddenly. Others intermittent but going downhill.

In the dist days, I kept a spare dist in the trunk. :p

-chart-

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Historical FYI

Are 93 vulcans equipped with TFI (thick film ignition module) and PIP (profile ignition pick-up)?
Historical FYI for those on a trouble shoot, trying to find the late model 3.8L ICM location.
On my 94 3.8L, Ford re-located the ICM below the windshield under the leaf screen, passenger side, out of & away from the under hood engine heat. It still seems happy there in Dec 2015, as its OEM & now 22 years old, vehicle was mfg Dec 93!!! Yup I'm still maintaining & driving it. Still brings a smile to my face every time I start it up!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts