Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
II have a 2005 vulcan with 60,000 miles. About 3 weeks after buying I was on the road driving and the car just shot off on me. Just like that no noises or anything. I pulled to the side put it in park and it started right up. a couple weeks later which would be yesterday i was making a left turn and again it just shut off. Both times were like if you were driving and you turn the car off with the key. Again i pulled over put it in park and it started up. what could this be???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got on the sight and it looks like a lot of good info on here I hope some you one can help with this mine is a 98 24v v6 and is doing the same after 8yrs of owning it, just changed the fuel filter and was looking to the fuel pump or could it be ignition.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinking that it could be the ignition just for the mere fact the car just shuts off like if your turning the key to the off position...anybody have a suggestion??????

·
Registered
100 Posts
does it die while your foot is on the gas or off the gas? I understand your driving but we all have to lift off the pedal even just a little bit.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Had a problem like this with my Vulcan, where it would die without gas applied like waiting at a light or letting off the gas when turning.

I had to do all my maintenance over again including, new fuel filter, new air filter, clean MAF with MAF Cleaner, Cleaned Throttle Body with brake cleaner and a stiff brissle toothbrush, cleaned the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) and replaced the PCV Valve

I also put in some new plugs and Motorcraft wires. Go with Autolites if you do the plugs.

Is all of that maintenance up to date? I think the big thing for me was changing my wires plugs and the IAC valve.

The IAC Valve can be located on the top of the engine near the middle of the firewall and can be removed and cleaned with brake fluid. If this gets rid of your problem i would consider replacing it as it might need to be cleaned every so often when the carbon builds up in it.

Here is a thread with pictures to the IAC valve. It is the first place i would start as well as getting all the other maintenance i stated up to date, which made a difference of my Vulcan always stalling to never.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...7-car-stutters-heavily-when-cold-started.html

·
Registered
670 Posts
A new MOTORCRAFT Part # CX1851 runs about $65 from Rockauto, and is a good place to start.

You can try cleaning the old one but its hit or miss.

Let us know if you have all your other maintenance up to date

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine turned out to be the fuel pump relay when I pulled it and you could see hot spots on the contacts changed it out Saturday morning and so far so good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does it die while your foot is on the gas or off the gas? I understand your driving but we all have to lift off the pedal even just a little bit.
to be honest im not sure. both times i was making a turn and i "think" i had just exited the turn and was about to hit the gas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A new MOTORCRAFT Part # CX1851 runs about $65 from Rockauto, and is a good place to start.

You can try cleaning the old one but its hit or miss.

Let us know if you have all your other maintenance up to date
all ive done is change the oil i bought the car about 2 months ago. so im not sure what is up to date or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts