Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post here and i appreciate any help.
I bought a used 2003 Taurus SES with 100,000 miles on it..
When im driving and i goto stop the rpms drop down to about .5 or even lower sometimes making it stall. When the car idles its fine and the rpms stay a little below 1 or when im driving over say 35 mph its fine, its just when im going to stop.
The check engine light is not on, but when the rpms drop below .5 the battery light and oil light will flicker
(im typing this with my 4 year old in my ear wanting me to get off the computer so we can go swim, sorry if i left out details haha) Thank you tcca!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Try - changing gas filter, use throttle body spray and clean the idle air control, also full up the tank and drive, it could maybe be the fuel pump is being starved so when u go on the brakes the gas in the tank leans forward. hope it helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (auto @ Jul 20 2009, 02:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740771
Try - changing gas filter, use throttle body spray and clean the idle air control, also full up the tank and drive, it could maybe be the fuel pump is being starved so when u go on the brakes the gas in the tank leans forward. hope it helps.[/b]
Thank you for the tips, i will try them!
Also ive let the car idle for about ten mins and it idled fine but then i reved the engine to about 3x and it died..

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
the fuel pump is actually in the front of the tank so hitting the brakes would make it slosh forward toward the pump... definatly try the filter. air filter too if it has not been changed in a while.

·
Registered
171 Posts
im too familiar with newer sables i was speakin on how i know mine to be

·
Registered
171 Posts
*not too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im still trying to figure out what the problem is but to add, the problem happens when im decreasing speed from about 35 to 20 and when i get below 20 mph it idles fine, but if i was to put the car in nutral and rev it , it would try and die.. this only happens when the car is warmed up..

ill be checking the air filter today

1 - 9 of 9 Posts