Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an erratic stalling issue with my 2000 Vulcan, theft light would flash and motor would stall. I could always restart and drive. Theft light flashing threw me off for a long time. Problem got worse with time. Would be worse when engine was hotter. I thought about it a good while. First part I replaced was the relay for the PCM at the front of the engine compartment. This conclusively fixed the problem. 2000 Taurus is now running great again and fun to drive. Little square black part cost $14 from dealer. Dealer said he sold a lot of them. Possibly my best, cheapest, easiest fix ever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had an erratic stalling issue with my 2000 Vulcan, theft light would flash and motor would stall. I could always restart and drive. Theft light flashing threw me off for a long time. Problem got worse with time. Would be worse when engine was hotter. I thought about it a good while. First part I replaced was the relay for the PCM at the front of the engine compartment. This conclusively fixed the problem. 2000 Taurus is now running great again and fun to drive. Little square black part cost $14 from dealer. Dealer said he sold a lot of them. Possibly my best, cheapest, easiest fix ever.
[/b]

Hate to sound stupid this early in the morning but what is a PCM? My 2003 is doing the same thing. Does it also have that part?

·
Registered
834 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
PCM = Powertrain Control Module. It's the computer that controls the engine and transmission
[/b]

Where is it located on an '03?
[/b][/quote]

The relay that the OP was referring to is located in the power distribution box near the battery. You can find the diagram in your owners manual of which relay is which.

·
Registered
23 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
PCM = Powertrain Control Module. It's the computer that controls the engine and transmission
[/b]

Where is it located on an '03?
[/b][/quote]

The relay that the OP was referring to is located in the power distribution box near the battery. You can find the diagram in your owners manual of which relay is which.
[/b][/quote]

Thank you for your help... We are getting a relay tonight..

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE (Redtaur2000 @ Mar 4 2008, 03:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=600672
I had an erratic stalling issue with my 2000 Vulcan, theft light would flash and motor would stall. I could always restart and drive.[/b]
I think I might be having that same issue, after taking my car through a car wash. I noticed that the theft light was doing the slow blink like the car was off with no key in it when I went to shift my car back into drive after the car moving belt released my wheels.

Maybe twenty minutes later, I'm cruising at about 70 on the highway and my engine abruptly jumps way up in revs like I switched out of overdrive or was in neutral. Again, the theft light started blinking. I immediately took my foot off the gas and forced overdrive off, letting my car coast back down to the speed limit (55). It drove fine the next half a minute to my exit and I don't remember the stereo cutting off or anything. It didn't do this again the next ten minutes back to my apartment, even though there are more than 10 traffic lights between the offramp and my place. The engine bay didn't seem to have any water in it and the car behaved normally when I drove it later that afternoon with a still-warm engine, as well as late last night with a cold engine.

I remember last winter my battery was close to death, so the car would shudder and go through the motions of turning off when I idled for too long (more than ~20 seconds!), but simply shifting into neutral and keeping the revs up prevented it from happening until I replaced the battery.

So all that text to ask: Is that what you mean by stall? Or is stalling what my car did last winter?

Edit: 11 PM Christmas night. Yeah, it's definitely stalling, and far too frequently now--enough that it's not safe to drive. What causes the relay to fail or short out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taurus Stalling issue

Thank you so much for this post... You probably saved me a minimum $500 bucks at the repair shop. I bough the $12 part and changed it myself. Worked like a champ!!! Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where do I buy a PCM relay?

Thank you so much for this post... You probably saved me a minimum $500 bucks at the repair shop. I bough the $12 part and changed it myself. Worked like a champ!!! Thank you.

Alarmguy86937, where do I find a PCM relay for a Ford Taurus 2002 SE 3.0l 6cyl? I can't seem to locate it in Autozone. Tried calling the Ford dealer, but he has never heard of the part. Where did you find yours?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Car: 2002 Mercury Sable GS, Vulcan engine.
I checked the power distribution box next to the battery.. In the manual box #2 says PCM Relay. But its actually a 30 amp fuse, not the square black relay. And none of the relays in the power distribution box are for the PCM. As far as I understand, what I have to replace is not the fuse. I know it sounds funny like I misread the manual but I am a 100% sure that what it says. I can also attach pics of the power distribution box and the manual. Do you guys have any idea what it might mean?

Edited:
I have found this pic on the internet, but this is exactly how the power distribution box looks like in my car. Which one is the PCM relay?
Fuse panel picture

And this is the Fuse panel diagram from EZ Topic Finder. #2 refers you to the 30 Amp fuse:
Fuse panel diagram

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
I think you're a little confused with the wording. Fuse #2 is for the PCM power relay i.e. the fuse for the power that goes to the PCM relay. The actual PCM relay is in position #31.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you're a little confused with the wording. Fuse #2 is for the PCM power relay i.e. the fuse for the power that goes to the PCM relay. The actual PCM relay is in position #31.
Thank you for the explanation! You are absolutely right. And the problem is fixed. Payed around $16 for the relay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2003 Taurus. I replaced the relay with one from a junk yard and it still had the problem. Bought a new relay and problem is still here. Cleaned off the PCM harness connector, replaced the IAC, problem is still here after the car warms up on the road for about ten minutes! Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am having a stalling problem with my 99 taurus. could this be the same problem as what is mentioned with these posts. it stalls and the theft light flashes fast and no power anywhere. if i disconnect the neg terminal for a few seconds it starts right back up . problem has gotten worse. any suggestions is t it the pcm relay or the neg battery cable

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
PATS will not cause the car to stall on it's own. You are either losing charging voltage to the point the PCM shuts down or something is momentarily shutting of the PCM relay. Check and confirm your charging system and battery voltage first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Erratic Stalling - Flashing Theft light

a
This advice is helpful to me and my mechanic here in St. Louis. My car is at the shop and I'm feeding my mechanic with suggestions like the one above to solve my problem. My problem is compounded by the fact that when I try to start, nothing is happening i.e. I turn key to the right, nothering. I turn the key all the way to the left, nothing. Seems like the security system is not recognizing the key. Anyone have additional things to consider?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts