Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car suddenly stalled at stop lights. Installing 2 fuel pumps did not solve problem. Thought it could have been the relay for the Powertrain Control Module. Mechanic ruled that out. Car cannot even be jump started. There is no power to the ignition. Radio is turned on- does not play. When the fuse is removed for the fuel pump- radio plays. What gives?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess what? I slammed the hood in frustration and now the 2004 will start! However, it won't stay running when shifted into drive. Could this be related to the switch on top of the transmission (neutral safety switch?)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guess what? I slammed the hood in frustration and now the 2004 will start! However, it won't stay running when shifted into drive. Could this be related to the switch on top of the transmission (neutral safety switch?)
If it is, you might want to remove the white connector on the top of the transmission. I've read about fluid accumulating in there and causing all kinds of idle / surge issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just thought I'd let readers know the outcome of my stalling problem. Had the car towed to a Ford dealer and they tracked the problem to an open splice and corroded, rusted grounds in a wire of the PCM harness. If I understood correctly, a wire was pinched near the firewall and the insulation eventually wore through causing a short when the bare wire touched either the firewall or another harness wire with no insulation.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Stuff like that is almost impossible to track down. Glad you got it fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts