Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2005 Taurus with a 3.0 OHV will immediately drop to 0 rpm and stall upon the first start when it is cold. Once again it stalled with the temp at 12 deg F this morning. It catches fine on the second attempt.

Since the first time it happened it threw a misfire code. I changed out the coil pack and sparkplugs. At one point the code said the upstream O2 sensor on the firewall side needed attention. I changed that as well. Presently no codes. I will be changing the gas filter soon and will do the other upstream O2 sensor. Other than the cold start issue it runs fine. Also I did pause to make sure the fuel pump is pressured.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Spock

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Not sure what this means. "Also I did pause to make sure the fuel pump is pressured" I would cycle the key a few times to run and see if that makes a difference. If it does then the fuel rail is not being pressurize enough and a new pump may be needed or maybe it's a leaking injector.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cycled the key five times. No difference, still stalls on first attempt. I’ll clean up the IAC and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How about UIM and imrc gaskets?

Last summer these were giving my 04 a really rough start and die on the first start of the day. Then it would start normally, and have no more problems for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
How about UIM and imrc gaskets?

Last summer these were giving my 04 a really rough start and die on the first start of the day. Then it would start normally, and have no more problems for the rest of the day.

Replacing the UIM gaskets solved a misfire on random first starts on my 2001 also.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sprayed carb cleaner along the UIM joint between the upper manifold (plenum) and lower manifold both in front and behind and both ends and there was no response. Next plan is to clean up the IAC.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I swapped a known good IAC valve on my 2001 that had a stall / stumble at first start and it seems to eliminate the issue but would need a few more days of starts to say if it is the solution.

·
Super Moderator
7,690 Posts
Bad / failing O2 sensors have nothing to do with a poor cold start, as the PCM ignores O2 sensors until they warm up and start to produce some voltage, which, on a very cold day can take a minute or more.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed and cleaned the IAC with CRC throttle body cleaner. No difference. I've ordered up a temp sensor and will will replace that when I replace the coolant.
I may pick up a junkyard IAC to see if it makes a difference. The temp sensor was not that much so I don't mind replacing it.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I swapped a known good IAC valve on my 2001 that had a stall / stumble at first start and it seems to eliminate the issue but would need a few more days of starts to say if it is the solution.

I was having a stumble at first start in cold weather which disappeared when I swapped out the IAC valve. It has been at least a week since it happened last.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed and cleaned the IAC with CRC throttle body cleaner. No difference. I've ordered up a temp sensor and will will replace that when I replace the coolant.
I may pick up a junkyard IAC to see if it makes a difference. The temp sensor was not that much so I don't mind replacing it.
The new temp sensor didn’t help in my case. I picked up a couple of IAC’s from the Pick N Pull and will swap it out.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Are you sure your fuel pump is good?
My 2000 Taurus had a similar cold start issue. After replacing the fuel pump, the symptom goes away.
The pump is Spectra Premium Fuel Pump and it works pretty well so far. Also, you have to replace the pump screen too.

Good luck

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I installed a used IAC I picked up at Pick N Pull and it starts fine, however it’s warmer now. I also have a set of spark plug wires coming from Rock Auto. Also since the Forum layout has been changed I can now post photos from my IPad. Cudo’s to the Administrative team. Here is a shot of an IAC and how it it looks with it removed. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,613 Posts
Are you sure your fuel pump is good?
My 2000 Taurus had a similar cold start issue. After replacing the fuel pump, the symptom goes away.
The pump is Spectra Premium Fuel Pump and it works pretty well so far. Also, you have to replace the pump screen too.

Good luck

My '03 Sable does that when very cold overnight. Start and die or nearly die then idles up on high for a few seconds. Likely fuel drains back due to the check valve not holding. Easy to check. Double key to build pressure first. If it fixes, it fuel leak down.

-chart-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing