Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sort of confused. I recently saw a commercial advertising the Dogde SRT 10 as the "Fastest Production Pickup" in the world. Isn't that title held by the F-150 SVT Lightning?

I looked up the specs for the 2 Trucks, and sure enough, the SRT 10 has the 500 HP Viper V10, and the SVT Lightning has a Supercharged Triton V8 w/ only 380 HP. Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but 500 HP vs. 380 seems to be a BIG difference.

Also, a friend of mine said that the Ford GT lost to the SRT 10 in the 1/4 times. How would that be? If they have the same HP, but the GT is lighter, how would a TRUCK be able to beat it in 1/4 times!?


If anything here is just plain stupid let me know. I'm not a real big gear head. lol
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
OK, the Lightning still hangs right with the SRT-10. Almost identical times from what I've read. I don't know about a street course/handling though. Ford will NEVER let their baby lose its title... hands down. This is why the 2005 Lightning will be 550HP and 575 torque.


As for the GT I call
that the SRT-10 beat it. I get Car & Driver and the GT beat the Viper fully equipped with its V10 in every category (most just slight wins... but wins none-the-less.).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,277 Posts
from what I seen the SRT 10 had similar of not the same times as the SVT. Maybe its Dodges s***ty a** tranmission.....

(sorry, lost the 2nd tranny AND differential at 76k on the caravan sport)

maybe the parents will by a Taurus Wagon now...not taking my opinion has only costed them 4 grand in repairs in 2 years....and probably now another 2-3 grand.


Anywho, my Cisco Networking teacher said he may have seen one at a dealer out towards PA, and if it is the SRT 10 he'll be test driving it...I'll let you know what he thinks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
When car and driver tested it they said it did 0-60 in 1/10 of second faster than the lightning.
They didn't mention any 1/4 times, but I bet the lightning can run it down. There's no way in hell it's faster than the gt40.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Originally posted by Scatman@Apr 7 2004, 06:58 PM
You guys want fast check out the Tomahawk from dodge! a mtorcycle with the viper v10 in it. now that is fast !
you should check out my fart. lightspeed!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
this is funny.. now why couldnt dodge come out with a SRT Intrepid.. then the taurus would have a 500 hp engine in there by now eh? lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
It's all great and all until you compare the two price-wise...I can get a Lightning for around $30-32K new while the SRT-10 is way above $40K. Hmm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Originally posted by Majisto@Apr 7 2004, 09:38 PM
It's all great and all until you compare the two price-wise...I can get a Lightning for around $30-32K new while the SRT-10 is way above $40K. Hmm.
...and gas milage ... the SRT-10 sticker says 6 MPG, at least the one I looked at did.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by afi292@Apr 7 2004, 08:32 PM
this is funny.. now why couldnt dodge come out with a SRT Intrepid.. then the taurus would have a 500 hp engine in there by now eh? lol
I'm sure it would have the beloved HEMI in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This friend of mine....he said that the Viper V10 was only OHC. And non supercharged. This came from a comment I made about the GT having 500 HP and it only being a V8, and that it took Dodge a V10 to get the same performance as a Ford V8. He said that if the GT engine was OHC and wasn't supercharged, it would be s***. But you see, it IS supercharged and it IS DOHC. So what ifs dont matter.

I'm gonna have fun confronting him on this @ work
He thinks he's right when it comes to everything about cars/trucks.


The new SVT Lightning is supposed to have 550 hp!? I thought it would have about the same HP as the GT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Originally posted by CobaltBlue91GL@Apr 8 2004, 11:33 AM
This friend of mine....he said that the Viper V10 was only OHC. And non supercharged. This came from a comment I made about the GT having 500 HP and it only being a V8, and that it took Dodge a V10 to get the same performance as a Ford V8. He said that if the GT engine was OHC and wasn't supercharged, it would be s***. But you see, it IS supercharged and it IS DOHC. So what ifs dont matter.

I'm gonna have fun confronting him on this @ work
He thinks he's right when it comes to everything about cars/trucks.


The new SVT Lightning is supposed to have 550 hp!? I thought it would have about the same HP as the GT.
They have upped the number on the production spec gt also, it was producing more than 500hp based upon acceleration stats but they tried to keep the real number a secret. Current Ford GT Specs
Engine Type: DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, supercharged V-8
Engine Displacement (L): 5.4
Bore/Stroke (mm): 90.2x105.8
Displacement (cu in/cc): 330/5409
Compression Ratio (in/mm): 8.4:1
Material: All Aluminum
Horsepower @ RPM: [email protected],500
Torque @ RPM (lb ft): [email protected],750
Horsepower Specific Output (hp/liter): 92.6
Torque Specific Output (lb ft/liter): 92.6
Recommended Fuel: 91 octane (premium)
Fuel System: Sequential multi-port electronic fuel injection -(SEFI) with dual injectors per cylinder
Oil Capacity with Filter (quarts): 10
Usable Fuel Capacity (gal): 18
 

·
Premium Supporter
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
The Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership in my town has one of the Dodge SRT-10 trucks. It's BRIGHT yellow with a HUGE spoiler on the back. The front actually looks nice. It needs not to be yellow though. They have it parked up front on a big hill so everyone can see it, heh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
From what I've heard and read, Dodge didn't do much to the handling and suspension. So its pretty much a normal truck with 500hp. What good is 500hp if you can't make good contact with the ground?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Ive driven both. The Lightning is faster in the quarter. the shifts on the SRT-10 are about 2 miles long. Faster 0-60, but 2 mph slower top end, and slower quarter mile. Truck sits too high, and the rear axle is the same old same old, not specially set up like it is on the lightning. plus its what, 15K more expensive to start as compared to a lightning with both options? Yeah...right.
And there inst anything made on this side of the atlantic ocean that is street legal and can run with the GT. The Viper is just about as quick straight ahead, but put it in the twisties and the viper is history.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
If I remember correctly the SRT-10 has a higher top speed. And who says that Dodge won't supe it up even further over the Lightning in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I'm not really a Ford guy. I've ALWAYS been a Chryseler guy. The Viper lost to the GT in almost everything except the 1/4. It was pretty close. I'm sure once the Viper coupe comes out that those times will be a little bit quicker. As far as the SRT-10, the Viper-powered Dodge 1500 makes pretty quick work of the Lightning. Though, I've seen videos of Lightning's beating SRT's at the track. Just embarassing the SRT. Also, I've seen Ford Turbo Diesel's pullin 10's on the 1/4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Originally posted by Domino81@Apr 8 2004, 05:41 PM
I'm not really a Ford guy. I've ALWAYS been a Chryseler guy. The Viper lost to the GT in almost everything except the 1/4. It was pretty close. I'm sure once the Viper coupe comes out that those times will be a little bit quicker. As far as the SRT-10, the Viper-powered Dodge 1500 makes pretty quick work of the Lightning. Though, I've seen videos of Lightning's beating SRT's at the track. Just embarassing the SRT. Also, I've seen Ford Turbo Diesel's pullin 10's on the 1/4.
According to Car and Driver the GT ran 3.3 0-60 and 1/4 mile in 11.6.
The last Viper they tested ran 3.9 and 12.1
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top