Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Taurus with the standard engine (OHV) with 205K pretty trouble free miles on it. A couple of weeks ago the water pump went. Put a new one on and a new belt - no problems. About two weeks later the belt started squealing pretty bad and eventually threw the belt. Checked for leaks - no leaks. I replaced the tensioner (whole unit), but it still made noises. Took the belt off and found some play in the a/c bypass (removed the a/c a while ago). Replaced the bypass and the noise is definitely better. However, the belt still makes a slight noise during acceleration, but no longer at idle. Could my belt just be sh*t from being thrown off?

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
Could be. I would also carefully check pulley alignment with belt on and engine running. And make sure its routed correctly. Also with belt on and eng. running, might listen to ea. individual pulley with mechanics stethoscope, pc. of hose, long screwdriver or pipe. If all this fails, remove belt and rotate and check ea. pulley by hand. Maybe start car (without belt) for a few seconds to see if squeal is present.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.