Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, squealed again today. Sprayed some white lithium grease in there and wd40 all over the belt and pulleys. Of course it's nice and quiet now...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yup, I'm gonna go out and buy a new belt every time it makes a little noise.

I'm not saying soak it overnight, just a little shvitz and the noise goes away. Believe me I can tell the difference in sound between a pulley bearing going away and a simple belt squeak.

I have done this for years and have never experienced a belt failure.

Every time there is a post about belt noise and I mention this solution, somebody jumps all over my stuff and tries to say how bad it is. Wel,, from now on, enjoy your noisy belts......
I am willing to give the WD-40 a try. It works great on keys, in spite what you have made heard, use once a year and your keys and locks will thank you.

Exactly what part of the belt do you spray with WD-40? Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am willing to give the WD-40 a try. It works great on keys, in spite what you have made heard, use once a year and your keys and locks will thank you.

Exactly what part of the belt do you spray with WD-40? Thanks.
I tried it but it seemed to make the noise ladder. Oh well, it was worth a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did anyone ever find a reliable fix to the belt squealing on the Vulcans?

Mine is chirping like a cricket, spraid WD-40, lithium grease on the idler and even the whole belt - it made it worse!!

Then I tried the soap trick (a bar of soap pushed under the belt grooves as it was turning - a little dangerous, be careful. Completely went away!!??

Then this morning it was back when cold. So then I took a long screwdriver and just ran it along the crank pulley grooves as it was idling to try and get the crud out of the grooves the serpentine rides on (very dangerous - be very careful). This seems to have the best results - I pretty much eliminated all the chirping except above 2000 rpm it will chirp slightly.

My latest theory is rust or crud gets on the pulley grooves rubs on the belt causing the annoying squel..It seems to be coming from the crank pulley? On mind I found moving the belt away from the engine eliminated the squeal and pushing the belt into the engine while running made it worse. I used a wooden pry bar to do this at idle so I would not do any damage,

Amazing, never seen a problem like this. The belt is good replaced 4000 miles ago with a genuine ford serpentine belt!??

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I own two 2007 Taurus; one squeaks and one does not. The squeaking comes and goes; it seems worse when the outside temp is warm and is much less or gone when it is cold. It has been going for more than two years now in spite of new water pump, new pulleys and new belts (2 or 3). Tried WD40 on it seemed to make it worse. It sure is a pain in the butt. If anyone ever finds a sure cure, please post it because many of us want it to go away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Squealing like a pig again today right at 2000 rpm - it's embarassing going down the road :curse:it got WORSE with me putting silicone grease on it!?

I thought it was the waterpump pulley bearings but that seems okay - no change even if I grease the water punp spindle.

I found from the owner before a workorder from a Ford dealer to repair it last August less than 4k miles ago. There fix was to replace the belt.

My last ditch effort was to spray turtle wax tire shine on the crank pulley while she idles - squeal sound completely gone at all rpms. Was worried about belt slippage but no issue so far. Will see how long it lasts, may just keep the bottle with me in the car.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
You have an alignment problem. The chirping will keep coming back until you fix the root cause and align all the drive pulleys. Watch these two videos:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tried everything on mine. Replaced pulleys, a water pump, multiple belts, nothing helped.

Changed to a Gator Back - problem solved. Good for over 3 years now.

·
Registered
815 Posts
New belts will no longer cause squealing due to the material they are made of. I'm not saying everyone here has a new belt, but it is possible some people do and the squeal is no longer the belt. If anyone u s wondering about it and wants to research it, it is called ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM).

·
Registered
815 Posts
New belts will no longer cause squealing due to the material they are made of. I'm not saying everyone here has a new belt, but it is possible some people do and the squeal is no longer the belt. If anyone u s wondering about it and wants to research it, it is called ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM).
I apologize for the incorrect info, these belts will still squeal, but will not crack like the older neoprene belts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I read that applying soap to the belt would stop the squealing. My first thought that this could not possibly work. But I decided to try it anyway. So I took a small piece of soap and applied it to the toothed portion of the belt, cranked the motor quickly and put some more on the belt. Did it 3 or 4 times and started the motor. Much to my surprise, the squealing was gone. I have not idea how long this will work but so far it has lasted about two weeks. So try it yourself and hopefully it will work for you.

If the noise comes back, I will keep you informed about it.

To all of the people who made suggestions, I want to thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Now your belt is slipping happier. Not so much about your alternator, power steering pump and water pump that now don't have the driving force they need.

·
Registered
16 Posts
New to TCCA! Pretty nice forum!
I have a 99 SE and an 06 SE, both squeal, but only when it rains or is very humid. Tried spraying the water pump bearing (with LPS) thinking it was bad, squealing got worse (on the 99). Sure is a frustrating problem, hope someone comes up with the "correct" repair soon.
:curse:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Now your belt is slipping happier. Not so much about your alternator, power steering pump and water pump that now don't have the driving force they need.
Maybe, but it depends upon what is causing the squeal. I put the soap on the ribbed portion of the belt not the smooth side. If the squeal is being caused by the belt slipping sideways in one of the pulley, then the soap would not affect the drive force on the alternator, etc. So far I have not seen any indication in a problem with the alternator or power steering pump or water pump not working.

I have replaced the water pump, the alternator, the tension pulleys (several times) and the belt (several times) trying to fix the problem. So far only the soap has worked.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi,

I just stumbled onto this post. On a 1996 Taurus I had, a squealing serpentine belt problem drove me nuts for months. After replacing just about everything, turns out that the belt tensioner had been bent over just ever so slightly when (as I recall) an alternator was serviced (ie. not by me). I didn't notice it until I had the tensioner laying out and was looking for misaligned parts. Takeaway: Release the belt tension, but don't "heavy hand" the tensioner's release bolt to the point that you bend the tensioner's body.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Brcobrem

·
Registered
797 Posts
Brcobrem, Good observation. It is a pretty sound endorsement for doing it yourself or going to a trusted and experienced mechanic.

·
Registered
797 Posts
New to TCCA! Pretty nice forum!
I have a 99 SE and an 06 SE, both squeal, but only when it rains or is very humid. Tried spraying the water pump bearing (with LPS) thinking it was bad, squealing got worse (on the 99). Sure is a frustrating problem, hope someone comes up with the "correct" repair soon.
:curse:
Check out the 2 utube videos that Behalina posted earlier in this thread. Very well done and informative.

Did you remove the belt and spin the water pump pulley by hand and see if there is any play in it?

The squeal you are experiencing is most likely be from belt slippage. When it gets wet there is less friction and the belt slips over one or more pulleys. Same thing if you get some LPS lubricant on it.

See if you can reproduce it on a dry day by spraying some water on it.

The tensioner spring may be worn or not moving smoothly. Check the tensioner out.
Good Luck.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts