Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 Taurus has a very squeaky front left shock. Everytime I hit a bump or turn the wheel it squeaks like it's dying. Are there any quick fixes, like WD40 or some kind of oil? Or does the squeaking mean it's shot?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

G

·
well I was waiting for a response but I already had to replace my sway bar links.. at 24000 miles and they were on warrenty thank god.. it wasn't that much money to have done around 126 with labor but that was covered.. anyways the parts are cheap around 28 a piece and real simple to put on.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I had one of those snap on my 00' at 40,000 miles. I think it was the tranmission shop that broke it but they say the did nothing to touch it. All they do is lower the subframe. Well, they lowered it to much, but never admitted it. I was stuck with the same bill you were around $120.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's a squeak. Also, when y0u park the car and just press down on the left side of the hood it does the same thing. My mother-in-law had the right tie rod end fixed before we bought the car (it went bad at 70,000) but I don't think the left one has been fixed. doesn't sound like a tie-rod anyway. Pretty sure it's suspension. any input would be great.

I had a Honda Accord, 91, do the exact same thing. Wonder if it's the way I drive? hehe.

·
Registered
389 Posts
In my case, it wasn't the tie-rod MAKING the noise, it was the ball rubbing the cup that set up a resonance with the brake rotor shield. The shield was making the noise, sounded like a spring.
The easiest way to find out is to take the wheel off and twist the tie-rod end to see if it causes the noise you have.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled the wheel off and sprayed WD40 very, VERY liberally all over the shock...it stopped all together. Maybe I just had a squeaky one...hell, who knows. So far though it hasn't started up again.

Thanks for all the input...I may have one of those other problems later and I'll know what it is thanks to you guys.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay never mind it started up again. Squeaking like hell. I checked that tie rod thing and that doesn't seem to be the problem...it's tight and solid.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Well... everytime I go over a bump, i hear a squeak/rattle.... I know what I have to do...

Tie rod ends replaced
ball joint (maybe) and the sway bar link are loose. So check that...

How to check?

Lift the car up (either on your jack, or an actual car lift, and wiggle the wheel.. if there is a little to a lot of play, you need to check if your sway bar, ball joint and tie rods are held firmly in place.

Oh, and my tie rod end I got replaced for $80...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It does it especially bad when I turn the wheel at a stop. It does it all the time, but it's worse the slower i'm going and the worst when i'm at a dead stop. Would a ball joint/tie rod squeak like that? Also, do you know if the ball joints are self-contained or do they need greasing?

My last car was a Honda Accord so I'm not used to changing tranny filters or greasing ball joints...the Honda never needed any of that. So if I sound a little ignorant, please, forgive me.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Jun 5 2004, 04:03 PM
It does it especially bad when I turn the wheel at a stop. It does it all the time, but it's worse the slower i'm going and the worst when i'm at a dead stop. Would a ball joint/tie rod squeak like that? Also, do you know if the ball joints are self-contained or do they need greasing?

My last car was a Honda Accord so I'm not used to changing tranny filters or greasing ball joints...the Honda never needed any of that. So if I sound a little ignorant, please, forgive me.
Ok this might be a really silly question but i figured it would be better to ask it and it possibly help then not ask it.

It's a squeaking not a squealing? I was just wondering if it could be your power steering squealing since you mentioned that the noise happens more often or gets louder the slower you are going or when you are stopped. Just a thought i had.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nah. Its a squeak. Like wet rubber maybe. It's a horrid sound. I'm at a complete loss as to what it is. Again, if you stop the car and push down on the front drivers side, it squeaks...which is why I thought it was a shock problem. But would a squeaky shock squeak when you turn the wheels sitting still?

I can't figure it out. Any, and I mean ANY, ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Jun 5 2004, 06:46 PM
Nah. Its a squeak. Like wet rubber maybe. It's a horrid sound. I'm at a complete loss as to what it is. Again, if you stop the car and push down on the front drivers side, it squeaks...which is why I thought it was a shock problem. But would a squeaky shock squeak when you turn the wheels sitting still?

I can't figure it out. Any, and I mean ANY, ideas would be appreciated.
D'oh i forgot you had said that if you stop the car and press down on the front driver side of the car that it squeaks (definitely not power steering then). I wouldn't think that a shock would squeak while sitting still and turning the wheel. I know it's already been mentioned but the only other thing that comes to mind is tie rod ends.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't know a tie rod end could squeak like that. Unless maybe it's rubbing something (i think someone mentioned that). I was afraid it was the ball joint. I'll have to get down under the car tomorrow and check the tie rod. I'll let you all know when I figure out what it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts