Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Taurus. No accidents. No repairs. Car looks new.
30,000 miles. Brakes squeak. Does anyone else have this problem?
And is there a solution? Not very loud but noticable. Sometimes if I take my foot off brake and rebrake, the sqeak goes away.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Sounds like time for new brakes!!

Could be a few different things, but with 30K on them, they have lived a useful life.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Yeah, if they're the OEM pads, it's probably time to change them. If they are new, you probably need brake pad shims.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Originally posted by acreature@Aug 28 2004, 06:06 PM
Yeah, if they're the OEM pads, it's probably time to change them. If they are new, you probably need brake pad shims.
Forget the shims (I NEVER use 'em), get Permatex Disc Brake Quiet Spray. It's a blue can, for about $4 at AZ (a can will last for many brake jobs!!). Been around for years, and works GREAT.

B

·
0 Posts
When I was working on Ashley's car, when mounting the front wheels, I noticed the shim had actually slipped down off the pad and was cutting into the hat of the rotor. Not a good thing.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
my front brakes give me no problems at all....

Its the rear drums that give me all the h*ll. I adjust them it seems like every 2 weeks. the pads are good.... why do they squeak?! *throws shoe at brakes*

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:ph34r:
Yes, the brakes are original. Yes, there is tons of pad left on all four brakes. Yes, my local mechanic took them apart and did spray the disks with that stuff. It helped greatly. But not completely. No shakes, stops straight and smooth. Just a squeaking noise. Is it front or rear? I have no idea. All four brakes were taken apart, sprayed, and put back together. No grease monkey, but compentent local mechanic. I supposed I could have him spray them again. Is that it? Car did sit for 3 months and squeak appeared after sitting. Car looks and drives like new.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
If it sat for 3 months, check for rust on the rotors. I had my rotors turned, about a week later they were making this bad squeaky/creaky noise at about 20-0 mph. Took the car back, and they hadn't turned the rotors enough was there excuse, turned them down some more, haven't had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
The suggestion on the rotors was good.

Some folks also have eliminated some squealing on occasion by chamfering the leading edge of the pad.

Also, if someone just sprayed the pads (the anti-squeal goes on the back of the pads) and din't clean them & the piston first, it won't always be as effective.

If you are paying people to do that brake work, it could run you a coupla hundred bucks, but if you are handy with a wrench at all, I would get the front rotors turned for $10-15 for the pair, put new brake pads all the way around ($50-90 for all four depending on what you buy), then $5 for brake fluid.

Your car is due for a brake flush, and the fact that it has pretty low miles for it's age, the squeaking could be pads or rotors. I would just replace 'em, and save those pads as spares.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes@Aug 30 2004, 02:26 AM
Its the rear drums that give me all the h*ll.  I adjust them it seems like every 2 weeks.  the pads are good.... why do they squeak?!  *throws shoe at brakes*
Do you use the parking brake? If not, make it a habit to set the parking brake once or twice a week. That activates the brake adjusters, so you won't have to do it manually.

Sounds more like you just have noisy shoes though. Drum brakes don't have pads.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
oops...haha, yeah shoes. I use the parking brake everytime I park. Im baffled. I think its time for a rear disc upgrade. I want something else to b*tch at for awhile.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:notworthy:
Thanks for all the insight. Squeaks almost gone now. Mostly quiet now. Thanks for the info on emergency brake. I will start to use it now.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
If nobody else minds, I think this may make a good addition to the Solutions for Common Problems forum. :thumb: I'm going to add it in.

J

·
0 Posts
hmm.... my car just started to get the sqeaky brake syndrome. Only after a cold start in the morning do I get a squeak. It's coming from the rear and after I stop 3 or 4 times it's gone and won't come back until the cold start the next morning... Any ideas?

Also, I use my parking brake all the time. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts