Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just noticed when I turn the wheel I get a squeak from the drivers side front fender well.

what could this be? and how much to fix?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had the same problem about a year ago. In my case it was a bad outer tie-rod end. Mine cost about $200 to fix for parts and labor.

Edit: I got both replaced...so $200 for both.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm... how much harm can it do to let it go for a little bit? I still have to buy my books for college...

·
Registered
389 Posts
It was the tie-rod ends for me too. But it wasn't the end making the noise, it was the brake rotor shield. The rod-end made it vibrate.
I replaced them myself for about $80, with an alignment included afterwards.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
The other reason for a squeak can be a bad strut bearing. Not an expensive part, but the strut needs to be pulled and disassembled to change it. Usually not worht doing unless you are putting in new struts, and change the strut bearings and strut mounts while you are at it.

More annoying than anything.

·
Registered
341 Posts
mine did the same thing. bad tie rod. if you have a half an hour and $20, you can do it yourself. not that complicated.

you can check before you take it off by just grabbing the outer tie rod itself and twisting the **** out of it. if you can get it to move a little, and it squeaks...there's your trouble.

hit your local library (for a Chilton's) or look here for instructions on how to remove and reinstall a tie rod. not hard.

also, when/if you do...you'll need to get a new alignment done. that's around $30 for the front end.

good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I HAVE A SES2000 AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. I PERSONALLY REPLACED THE OUTER TIE RODS, SWAY BAR END-LINKS, AND BALL JOINTS. PARTS COST ABOUT $130 TOTAL AND NEEDED AN ALIGNMENT DONE AFTERWARDS, WASNT OFF BY THAT MUCH..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts