Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just curious why you are replacing the springs? Just to save time? I imagine you will have to compress spring to remove the struts anyway.
Yes, to save time by building my own quick strut. With 3 kids i just don't have a whole lot of time on the weekend to wrench on a car. I'll assemble the struts ahead of time. Swapping a quickstrut in is pretty quick. No compressor needed for that step.

That's really the only reason i bought springs. If i was a single guy without kids, i'd spend the money i spent on the springs on beer instead, call a few buddies over and milk that job out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shipping costs will vary so i'll leave those out.

Strut mounts $33 each from rockauto.com
Struts $96 each from rockauto.com

I applied the 5% discount code so that total was $247 before shipping.

pair of strut top nuts were $7 shipped from an Ebay vendor selling ford OE parts.

Springs were from www.getoemparts.com by searching the Ford part number i needed: $41 a spring, plus shipping and tax

So $336ish plus shipping costs (maybe $30 more).

The monroe struts came to $259 on rockauto.com with 5% discount and not including shipping. So basically another $77 or so to build my own Ford quick-strut.

I did look for used springs, but found it was actually cheaper to buy a brand new Ford spring. I'll likely pull the springs from my orginal struts and see if i can resell them.
That's really not that bad for struts and parts that you know will easily last 50K + miles

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's really not that bad for struts and parts that you know will easily last 50K + miles
At 100K, my ride doesn't really feel that bad. Only doing this because my pass side strut mount it knocking away pretty good. I probably could have just change the strut mounts, but while i'm there i figure I just do new struts anyway.

Realistically, i probably only have another 20-30K with the car left before i'm looking to move on. I want a SHO

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Ok. Started working on this. Really glad I ordered springs and did this ahead of time for 2 reasons.

Got my springs in. They really had to be compressed down quite a bit to fit. I ended up using two pairs of compressors to do it. I'm sure one set would have done the job, but using four gave me a lot of confidence that if one slipped (or failed) the other three were there as backup. Nothing happened though. But it took nearly an hour (for one strut) to carefully compress and then release the spring in the proper groove in the strut.

First problem was torquing the strut nut. It's recessed down in the strut mount so I didn't have an offset 21mm wrench to grab it. So I kicked my feet up and searched YouTube and found a great idea.

Took a 21mm deep socket and enlarged the through hole to pass a 3/8" extension through. I then put a 10mm short socket on the extension, then slid the deep socket down on the nut. Held the nut with vice grips and tightened it all up. Worked great...after wasting time trying to figure it out.

Second reason I'm glad I did this ahead of time? One brand new FORD strut mount was bad out of the box. Bearing plate was loose and noisey and rocked. When I received the parts, I only inspected one. Had I been doing this all on the actual car, I can see myself have had the strut out and taken apart and only then opening the box and finding the bad part.

So, one strut done, and one to go after I get a new strut mount sent to me.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
Wonderful thing about pneumatic impact gun is the speed of the gun and the inertia of the part. I have just put the nut on the strut shaft and hit it with the gun. The nut will spin on before the shaft starts to spin. It works taking them off also.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Wonderful thing about pneumatic impact gun is the speed of the gun and the inertia of the part. I have just put the nut on the strut shaft and hit it with the gun. The nut will spin on before the shaft starts to spin. It works taking them off also.

Yeah. I was hoping the impacts would do the trick and I could just ugga chugga the nut home, but they spun the shaft. Only way to tighten it was to use my little trick. Another reason i'm glad i built the struts ahead of time vs trying to get this all done with my car in pieces.

Usually when it comes to reassembly I prefer to leave the impact tools on the bench and use the torque wrench.

·
Registered
197 Posts
DON'T

Warning!! Using an impact on the rod nut can loosen the piston from the rod inside the strut. It can also damage the piston ring seal. I know I will hear from all of you that have done this before with no problem....YOU GOT LUCKY!!! If you don't believe me, call the manufacturer, and ask if they will warranty your strut after this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Warning!! Using an impact on the rod nut can loosen the piston from the rod inside the strut. It can also damage the piston ring seal. I know I will hear from all of you that have done this before with no problem....YOU GOT LUCKY!!! If you don't believe me, call the manufacturer, and ask if they will warranty your strut after this.
I concur. In the past, a mechanic did just that on my other car. One of the struts failed within a 1000 miles.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Final update since this thread is mostly about tools

Got the replacement strut mount in. Much tighter. I also decided to order the above socket since my Mustang uses coil overs with the same size nut and I'm always removing them to change spring rates and such.

Much easier time than my macguyvered setup.

You can certainly make your own from a deep socket, but I just opted to buy one. Really easy to get the nuts tight with either setup, so both methods work fine.

However I was unable to hold the strut right to do final torque on my bench. I'll have to do this when the strut is in the car as the febder will hold the strut mount and I can manipulate the wrenches. So I tagged the struts with a "needs final torque" tag an boxed them up.

But, two all-Ford quick struts ready to go. Total assembly time was around 2 hrs. Second strut much quicker to do.

Now just need warmer weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
10 Participants
Mustang5L5
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing