Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on swapping out my front struts and strut mounts this spring. I want to try and bang this job out quickly so i'm looking ahead and gathering anything I'll need. One thing I don't have is a spring compressor for the front struts.

Can anyone who's done struts comment on the compressor you used and how well it worked? I've been searching around at various compressors and see comments where some claim it doesn't fit the spring or other issues. Uncertain what vehicles they are working on however.

Looking to see what style does work with the '14 taurus front strut so i can buy it (or rent) and have it ready to go.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May check your parts stores rental programs and/or Harbor Freight Tools.

Yes, but im looking to confirm a style that worked.

When i did inner tie rod ends, some of the parts stores rented a tie rod tool that did not have the correct fitting for the taurus tie rod inner, while some did. I'm looking to avoid the same issue and preemptively confirm what tool does fit the spring properly and works. I'm assuming they all will but hate to have the strut out in my hand and find out i don't have the proper tool for the job.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I want to try and bang this job out quickly so i'm looking ahead and gathering anything I'll need.
Make sure you start soaking every thing with penetrating fluid now. You'll be happy about it when you go to do the job later.

The Harbor Freight spring compressors look nice. Always put safety ahead of price when buying spring compressors.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Make sure you start soaking every thing with penetrating fluid now. You'll be happy about it when you go to do the job later.

The Harbor Freight spring compressors look nice. Always put safety ahead of price when buying spring compressors.

Always point the strut away from you while working on it in case of a tool failure. Don't set it up right and work directly above it while tightening the compressors or removing the strut piston rod nut.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have you looked into quick-struts?
I just ordered one this morning. It's supposed to be 2 inches shorter so we'll see....

UPDATE:
Just received the 'quick struts'. I returned them immediately as they were the same length as the other Monroe struts, even though the Monroe website claims differently.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I use the OTC strut tool with the bridge adapter so the coil compresses fully. A bit expensive but I have five cars and the tool has paid for itself, faster then driving to the shop to have the coil swapped out to the new strut. The simple coil compressor will not compress the front coils fully and will slip and you will get hit with it.

OTC #6494 and #6583 bridge

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Have you looked into quick-struts? They sell fairly cheap on rockauto, and it's a way easier job.
Have heard about the quality of those struts being quite terrible, especially the Monroes.

I decided to build my own quick struts using Ford parts. I purchased new struts, strut plates, top nuts and even ordered new springs to build my own quick strut. So all of this will be assembled on a bench first where I'm not being rushed.

A little more expensive, but i'm the kind of person that likes to spend money to make my life easier. Quick-struts definitely are easier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have heard about the quality of those struts being quite terrible, especially the Monroes.

I decided to build my own quick struts using Ford parts. I purchased new struts, strut plates, top nuts and even ordered new springs to build my own quick strut. So all of this will be assembled on a bench first where I'm not being rushed.

A little more expensive, but i'm the kind of person that likes to spend money to make my life easier. Quick-struts definitely are easier.
What was your total cost for both?

·
Registered
6,573 Posts

If you assemble them yourself ahead of time you are going to spend he same amount of time as doing them right at the time you are replacing them. However, I think you are ending up with a better end product. I have though of building out a used knuckle with ball joints and bearings with a knuckle from the junk yard. Just pop the whole assembly in but couldn't justify the knuckle cost and they also wanted a core charge on it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If you assemble them yourself ahead of time you are going to spend he same amount of time as doing them right at the time you are replacing them.
True, it is the same amount of time, but it's broken up into manageable chucks. I usually have 30 mins of free time in the evenings, so i can use that to assemble the struts in my nice warm basement. One strut tonight, the other one in a couple days or so. If i find a compressor doesn't work, or i can't get the top nuts on tight enough, i have time to order a tool or buy a part if i need.

But time on the weekends is a premium right now. Swapping out a quick strut takes no time at all, especially with air tools considering it's 30 degrees outside right now. I just wanted an all-ford quick strut.

I had a nightmare repair a few years back that changed the way I approach things these days. I just don't have time to waste, so i want to be as efficient as possible and get the car back on the road ASAP. I don't mind spending a little more money to accomplish this. It's also more of a PITA for me to take the car to the dealer and be carless for a few days....not to mention pay a ton more $$ for something i can do myself in a few hours.

Right now, just waiting for the springs to show up and I can assemble the struts one weeknight after the kiddos go to bed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a nightmare repair a few years back that changed the way I approach things these days. I just don't have time to waste, so i want to be as efficient as possible and get the car back on the road ASAP.
I'm going through that very same thing now with my front strut. Seems impossible to get on and is costing me time and money that I simply don't have. Will probably be forced to take it to a shop to have finished.

Shame since I just need to get the bottom of the strut in the knuckle.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What was your total cost for both?
Shipping costs will vary so i'll leave those out.

Strut mounts $33 each from rockauto.com
Struts $96 each from rockauto.com

I applied the 5% discount code so that total was $247 before shipping.

pair of strut top nuts were $7 shipped from an Ebay vendor selling ford OE parts.

Springs were from www.getoemparts.com by searching the Ford part number i needed: $41 a spring, plus shipping and tax

So $336ish plus shipping costs (maybe $30 more).

The monroe struts came to $259 on rockauto.com with 5% discount and not including shipping. So basically another $77 or so to build my own Ford quick-strut.

I did look for used springs, but found it was actually cheaper to buy a brand new Ford spring. I'll likely pull the springs from my orginal struts and see if i can resell them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going through that very same thing now with my front strut. Seems impossible to get on and is costing me time and money that I simply don't have. Will probably be forced to take it to a shop to have finished.

I have seen and heard about the horrow stories with the eariler types of knuckle that pinch the strut body. Fortunately for 2013+, ford went with a new design on the taurus that uses two bolts. Much easier.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have though of building out a used knuckle with ball joints and bearings with a knuckle from the junk yard. Just pop the whole assembly in but couldn't justify the knuckle cost and they also wanted a core charge on it.
Don't know what side you need, but there's a few cheap ones on EBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Driver-Front-Spindle-Knuckle-Knuckle-Only-Fits-04-07-TAURUS-8026108/112257595834

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Passenger-Front-Spindle-Knuckle-Knuckle-Only-Fits-04-07-TAURUS-8026116/112238306393

·
Registered
193 Posts

Obviously you haven't read the responses to your thread or have disregarded good advise. Taurus Bull God helps those who help themselves.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
10 Participants
Mustang5L5
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing