Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang:
For those of you want to save thousands on spot painting or bumper touch ups I recommend DeVILBISS SRi Pro spray gun & Makita MAC5200 compressor. Both items be found at amazon.com.

SRi Pro is a High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) spray gun. When used with the Makita MAC5200 compressor its a perfect match. The Makita compressor is a 3hp compressor with a 5.2 gallon tank operating on 120v. The Makita compressor is configured with its own folding handle and wheels, weight about 100lbs. It would not surprise me if this compressor with folding handle fits inside the trunk of any 4th gen Taurus / Sable. Good for blowing out your sprinklers as well.

For my spot repair I used PPG paint and Klear Cote. After spot painting and the usual clear coating, I did a clear coat bra on the front of my car to protect it from road chips (just like factory hoods) - way cool.

Clear coat requires it to dry overnight.

Monsoon

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey Gang:
For those of you want to save thousands on spot painting or bumper touch ups I recommend DeVILBISS SRi Pro spray gun & Makita MAC5200 compressor. Both items be found at amazon.com.

SRi Pro is a High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) spray gun. When used with the Makita MAC5200 compressor its a perfect match. The Makita compressor is a 3hp compressor with a 5.2 gallon tank operating on 120v. The Makita compressor is configured with its own folding handle and wheels, weight about 100lbs. It would not surprise me if this compressor with folding handle fits inside the trunk of any 4th gen Taurus / Sable. Good for blowing out your sprinklers as well.

For my spot repair I used PPG paint and Klear Cote. After spot painting and the usual clear coating, I did a clear coat bra on the front of my car to protect it from road chips (just like factory hoods) - way cool.

Clear coat requires it to dry overnight.

Monsoon

i got my sri a wile ago for air brush help stuff i can not do with the air brush. i got it with the 1.0 tip so i could spray some flake and clears coats. but do go with the short metal gravity feed cup good for getting in to tight places. like inside the door jams to the core support up front when you want it painted black on a muscle car. also thanks for the recommendation of this product it is as good as you and i have said.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DeKup system is pretty good as well. I used the 9oz cups. I like the fact mixing is done in the cup with a readable scale. DevilBiss really put some thought with this mixing process as it reduces the paint mess for mixing, measuring and pouring. Clean-up very simple and easy to handle.

Furthermore you can refill the same DeKup if necessary and keep painting. DeKups come with their own paint screen, its a really good system.

I heard from the paint retailer the DeKup system is catching on with auto shops as the "way to go" along with HVLP spray guns are the latest technology in spray guns. HVLP guns make it possible to do your own spot repair without spending large amounts of money on the larger compressors.

HVLP guns have these benefits:
* smaller compressors
* less over spray
* more product on the material
* spot repairs no longer require an expensive body shop

Monsoon

·
Registered
173 Posts
The DeKup system is pretty good as well. I used the 9oz cups. I like the fact mixing is done in the cup with a readable scale. DevilBiss really put some thought with this mixing process as it reduces the paint mess for mixing, measuring and pouring. Clean-up very simple and easy to handle.

Furthermore you can refill the same DeKup if necessary and keep painting. DeKups come with their own paint screen, its a really good system.

I heard from the paint retailer the DeKup system is catching on with auto shops as the "way to go" along with HVLP spray guns are the latest technology in spray guns. HVLP guns make it possible to do your own spot repair without spending large amounts of money on the larger compressors.

HVLP guns have these benefits:
* smaller compressors
* less over spray
* more product on the material
* spot repairs no longer require an expensive body shop

Monsoon
Wouldn't a regular spray can do the job as well?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem with most spray cans are:
* you may not get a color match, your color is not current
* finish may not be the same due to the "one-size-fits-all" nozzle
* quality of paint/clear coat from a can is questionable, probably low
* you're stuck with whatever comes out of the can, type of finish or quality
* very low product volume depending on application

The paint you get from an automotive retailer could be anywhere between $40 a quart to over a hundred. Depends how much quality you want. Automotive retailer will match your factory color.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem with most spot repairs are the nut jobs that cause them in the parking lot ! And leave no notes ! :angry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts