Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the factory spoiler for my 03. any words of wisdom about installing it. Would it look better to remove the third brake light from the rear window since the spoiler comes with a third brake light? This would make the car look like it came from the factory with a spoiler. Or would it look better with both brake lights?

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
you can just leave the 3rd brake light there but take out the light bulbs for it. if you don't wanna install it yourself. i took mine to the Ford body shop and they charged me $40 to install mine and it was done in a few hours. if you wanna do yours good luck. if not, you might wanna call some places and see how much they will charge.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Take ALOT of measurements. I put a G3 SHO spoiler on my car myself. find the center of the trunk, and mark it with something like Scotch Tape. Then find the distance on centers between the bolts. Transfer this measurement to the trunk, and set front/back distance from the rear trunk lip. make sure there aren't any wires or anything on the underside of the proposed holes. drill the holes in the trunk and mount it. The spoiler should come with foam or rubber pads that go betwee the spoiler and the trunk lid. this will prevent scratches and create a watertight seal. don't use silicone because it will inevitably create a mess and it is very hard to cleam off the paint.

As for the wiring, if there isn't a harness already on the underside of the trunklid, then use the wires that go to the existing thrid brake light.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
We bought a stock spoiler for the 99 from the dealership, and well...im lazy, so i had a car place install it for me....for paint and install cost me $100

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
On my 2000 you can't just take out the third brakelight. You would have to have the rear cardboard/material piece that was flat that came out of a car that came from the factory with a spoiler.
Mike
B)

A

·
0 Posts
Look in the Mods Pages. I believe there's a how to article on how to install it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would like to think everyone for the help with my spoiler install, it only took about and hour. If anyone ever gets the factory spoiler the instructions are useless. The tool list does not match the tools actually needed. But anyway use the install instructions posted here in the forum and you will be ok. I decided to leave the brake lite in the window. With the rear window tinted it is not that bright. plus I think I will cover with a TCCA decal so the decal will light up red.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts