Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I did a quick search, but I didn't find anything.

Can I take the rear skateboard... I mean, spoiler... off the trunk of my SHO? Is it bolted in place, or just glued? Am I better off just getting an SLO trunk?

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
It's bolted in place at both ends. You can remove it, but the holes will remain in the lid.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Holes are no fun. Guess I'll just grab a lid from the wreckers. Shouldn't be too hard to find a toreador red GIII.

·
Registered
93 Posts
why exactly do you want to remove it? it has a function, and IMO it makes it look nicer than a SLO

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's its function? If it actually creates down-force, then it's creating a drag at highway speeds that affects acceleration and fuel consumption. And why would I want more traction on the rear wheels?

It's already scratched to hell, so if I'm going through the effort of replacing it, why not remove it entirely for a cleaner, stream-lined look?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
What's its function? If it actually creates down-force, then it's creating a drag at highway speeds that affects acceleration and fuel consumption. And why would I want more traction on the rear wheels?

It's already scratched to hell, so if I'm going through the effort of replacing it, why not remove it entirely for a cleaner, stream-lined look?
:lol2: thats why its called a spoiler. if you are doing the speed limit then there really isnt a need for it other then looks imo. with out it you will notice a difference while driving.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
It doesn't just plant the rear end down, but actually tames air turbulence off the ass end of the car at highway speeds. Think high-speed stability.

The V8 SHO is one of very few mainstream cars from within the last couple of decades that was designed with a functional rear spoiler from the factory. If you're going to just get rid of it, at least try to understand what it's there for.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What's its function? If it actually creates down-force, then it's creating a drag at highway speeds that affects acceleration and fuel consumption.
lol, I know what a spoilers' function is, I guess you misread my post

just repaint your spoiler, I think it'll be cheaper than buying a SLO lid

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't just plant the rear end down, but actually tames air turbulence off the ass end of the car at highway speeds. Think high-speed stability.

The V8 SHO is one of very few mainstream cars from within the last couple of decades that was designed with a functional rear spoiler from the factory. If you're going to just get rid of it, at least try to understand what it's there for.
Do you have a link to an article saying this? And does the SLO spoiler do the same effect, or is it purely aesthetics?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Do you have a link to an article saying this? And does the SLO spoiler do the same effect, or is it purely aesthetics?
The latter.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
In lieu of an article, here's an illustration of the SHO skateboard spoiler's function. Snow on the highway is the poor man's wind tunnel smoke...

Reactions: Zuljin

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
lol, I know what a spoilers' function is
In most cases the main function is to spoil the looks.

Trunk wings are added to a lot of cars mainly to distinguish the "upscale, sporty" model of a particular car from the lesser models.

Best part of having the optional wing on my 2007 Fusion SE was that it got the third brake light out of the package tray.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts