Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll apologize in advance that I probably can't describe this well enough. I have a 2000 SEL. Since one morning when I started it, there is a sort of muffled spinning or wobbling sound coming from the engine. It almost makes me think of a muffled/underwater helicopter. This oscillating sound can vary from quieter to a bit louder.

It happens at idle and it varies with the RPMs of the engine. Driving is unaffected, but the sound seems to get drowned out by driving noise so it's much more noticeable when stopped. There are no high-pitched squeals or whining sounds. Having the fan or AC on or off doesn't affect it. Changing gears doesn't stop it either.

When I had the hood open it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I'm going to take my stethoscope out there and see if I can isolate it better, but I thought someone might have experienced this before and be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
22,693 Posts
^ I'm guessing his '00 SEL is equipped with the tec eng. which is not equipped with a cam sync?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts