Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have a Gen 2 vulcan and of course I had trouble with the original speedometer as it was recalled by the factory and such but I of course took the opportunity to decide that better equipment was in order. So I found a sho cluster on ebay from a gen2 which as many of you know is a real easy swap. I adjusted the mileage to match the old as it says how to do on the how to section. This sounds all good and well except at first I was wondering about the accuracy of the guages especially at higher speeds. However, when I took it in for service I had them check and they said 0-60 speeds were fine although they didn't charge me so I dont know if they really tested it. However, I decided to get reverse glow guages and as soon as I got those in there the accuracy went completely to hell. I mean when I am going like 50 the guages read 90. Anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking I will probably just buy another one off ebay and swap it out if it's indeed like broken or what not. However the how to has you take off the needle for changing the odometer reading and I think this may have messed it up. I thought I read somewhere that this is not a good thing to do. So it's much of a cache 22 situation for buying another one since I will have to adjust the mileage on the new one as well. Anyone got any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Ok, when you take off the needle, you have to pull out that peg at 0 MPH and let the needle fall. It'll fall a little bit and then mark the spot where it stops with masking tape and a pencil. When you put the needle back on, calibratie it by making sure the needle falls back to the spot you marked. Then point it back up and put the peg back in. I know when I put my speedo in, I didn't do the above steps and ended up wasting 5 hours try to calibrate it. I had to drive around town with the dash apart looking for one of those machines the cops put out to display your speed. Then I made multiple passes and pulled over to adjust the needle until I got it just right. Now my speedo is accurate within 1-2 MPH.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You probably didn't get the needle back in the correct postion. On most gauge faces that i've seen, if you remove the peg that Quertz refered to, the speedo needle will drop down and point to a tick mark below the peg. This is approximately the correct calibration. Further testing will be need to get it better, like following a friend going at a specific speed.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Do what I described above. Find one of those machines the cops put out to show you your speed and do multiple passes with the dash apart and pull over to adjust. Or do what ig88ds described and find a long stretch of lonely road and have a friend drive in front of you at a predetermined speed and set your needle that way. Just remember, you will need to have the dash and cluster apart when you're doing this. It's very risky and I recommend not going over 25 MPH. And you have to question how accurate your friend's speedo is too.

You need to have the speedo cable plugged into the the speedo and make sure the clear plastic cover, guage bezel, and gear indicator are out of the way. There's a small weight or wheel in the back of the speedo. Hold on to that piece with your finger and with your other hand, adjust the needle. It's a little tricky, but you should see what I mean when you do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts