Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter recently purchased an 04 Taurus, 80,000 miles with the vulcan engine.

I had a chance to drive it for awhile today and I swear the speedometer needle shows the car going about 10 MPH more than it really is. For example it shows 50 MPH when I feel (along with other cars around me) that its really 40 MPH.
What feels like 50 to me shows 60 MPH.

I have 4 other Tauri so I think I would know that something isn't right.

Is there a way to reset the speedo, can I pull the cluster and reset the needle or can something else be done?

My daughter gets the car back later tomorrow so I could work on it later today.

Thanks ahead of time!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have the same problem with my F-150. The GPS and my ultragauge show the same readout, but the needle shows about 4-5 mph more then it really is.

The only thing I can think of is pulling the cluster to move the needle, but how would you get it right when the needle still comes to a rest on the stop? My luck I'd make it worse so I'm not fooling with it.

Hopefully someone has some insight on this.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
My daughter recently purchased an 04 Taurus, 80,000 miles with the vulcan engine.

I had a chance to drive it for awhile today and I swear the speedometer needle shows the car going about 10 MPH more than it really is. For example it shows 50 MPH when I feel (along with other cars around me) that its really 40 MPH.
What feels like 50 to me shows 60 MPH.

I have 4 other Tauri so I think I would know that something isn't right.

Is there a way to reset the speedo, can I pull the cluster and reset the needle or can something else be done?

My daughter gets the car back later tomorrow so I could work on it later today.

Thanks ahead of time!!

That is 20% so likely the VSS has the wrong gear.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You can unplug the negative terminal of the battery let it sit, deplete the battery (hit brakes, turn on lights, etc), then reconnect. The gauges will automatically recalibrate. See if that helps.

You could also go into Engineering Mode and drive around, see what the screen displays as the speed versus the speedometer (usually 2-3 mph higher on gauge than the display).

·
Super Moderator
8,123 Posts
+1 for Nicks idea. See what the PCM thinks the speed is using engineering test mode. If the speedo reald alot different that actual speed reported by the speedo, the problem is in the cluster. Also good idea to verify the speed via GPS.

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the 04 on the road today.
I did disconnect the battery for an hour first.
I went through the diagonistic mode functions which included the needle dance check.

Then I went to the MPH test mode and driving.

This is wierd.
The first figure is the needle speed and the second is the the digital readout:

Needle 25 MPH, digital 25 MPH
Needle 30, digital 30
Needle 40, digital 35
Needle 45, digital 38
Needle 50, digital 40
Needle 55, digital 45

Two questions,

Chart, how can the vss have the wrong gear , how is it repaired and can an average person do it themselves? Any cost figures on that too?

Nick and others, can I pull the cluster and reset the needle but then wouldn't it affect the lower speed readings that were correct??

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Since the cluster automatically does its own calibration, reseating the needle will do nothing :(

I would definitely see if you can scrounge up someone's GPS and retest again at those speeds you did earlier, and report what the GPS says (I'm guessing the digital read out will nearly match the GPS readout).

The "VSS" is now called the output shaft speed sensor or something on 2000+ Tauruses. I wonder if that's the culprit, or some kind of internal circuity/chip issue on the cluster circuit board.

Oooo.. another idea. What about the wheel speed sensors?

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took out my wife's 04 Sport this afternoon and did the digital speed test. Everything came out in the correct parameters.:)

Too bad my daughter's 04 didn't!! :angry:

VSS replacement time??

I'll check first at the dealer and see if they have a way to recalibrate the speedo.

·
Registered
22,916 Posts
Might check and see if you have a local speedometer shop as we do here in kc (kc speedometer) and either give them a call or stop by and pick their brains.

·
Super Moderator
8,123 Posts
My guess is the speedo itself is bad. Might be time for a trip to the JY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to revive such an old thread but, I have exactly the same problem with my 2004 Taurus and I'm wondering if anyone ever figured this out.

Needle 25 MPH, digital 25 MPH
Needle 30, digital 30
Needle 40, digital 35
Needle 45, digital 38
Needle 50, digital 40
Needle 55, digital 45

GPS matches digital at all speeds.

So far, i have
1. replaced the VSS
2. replaced the speedo stepper motor
3. replaced the entire instrument cluster with a used unit

Unless I just happened to get a used instrument cluster with the same problem, the only thing left that could be causing it is a pcm problem?
Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts