Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just put in a new Head unit(Pioneer), 6x8's(Pioneer), 5x7's(SSL) and tweeters(Pioneer).... and on the way to my dads it just cut off (like 6hours after install)....
along with the speedometer, the total Mileage on the car and the mileage for the trip. could this be the VSS wire, or any other SPECIFIC wire for that matter, that i might have hooked up to the head unit wrong?
or is it just a blown fuse from the wattz that the new speakers are pushing. (where is the fuse, if that is the problem)

is it possible that i can get a fuse to withstand the
wattz that the new setup is pushing?

i am gonna hook up my subs this weekend
(2 JL Audio 2w1v2's). btw all the other gauges are fine...

its a 97 GL. and im not using the amp in
the trunk because of the wire harness that came with
the aftermarket kit doesn't connect it..... is there any way to
hook up the amp to just the rear speakers?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP...

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
i just put in a new Head unit(Pioneer), 6x8's(Pioneer), 5x7's(SSL) and tweeters(Pioneer).... and on the way to my dads it just cut off (like 6hours after install)....
along with the speedometer, the total Mileage on the car and the mileage for the trip. could this be the VSS wire, or any other SPECIFIC wire for that matter, that i might have hooked up to the head unit wrong?
or is it just a blown fuse from the wattz that the new speakers are pushing. (where is the fuse, if that is the problem)

is it possible that i can get a fuse to withstand the
wattz that the new setup is pushing?

i am gonna hook up my subs this weekend
(2 JL Audio 2w1v2's). btw all the other gauges are fine...

its a 97 GL. and im not using the amp in
the trunk because of the wire harness that came with
the aftermarket kit doesn't connect it..... is there any way to
hook up the amp to just the rear speakers?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP...
Fuse spot 5 for the Cluster, 10 for the radio. I don't think it's a blown fuse, but I have no idea. :lol2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The fuse for the radio also controls the speedometer, so that is most likely the culprit.

The question will be; did it blow because your new setup requires more amps than the stock or do you have a wire shorted from the install and it blew because it made contact with ground during your drive.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
ok, which fuse is that? and if that is the problem can i get a fuse that will hold the amps.
Not the correct way to fix the problem, if that is the problem. Fuses are sized for the current capacity of the wire they protect. Too big a fuse can lead to car fire from overheated wire & melting/burning insulation. (as an Electrician, I have seen homeowners start their house on fire by doing this.) You can use that original wire to power a relay that is correctly connected to a higher current source for your aftermarket equipment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A Faulty Transmission Range Sensor is known for causing weird electrical malfunctions. On the 97 I repaired, it caused the radio and power windows not to work and something else I don't remember. The TRS is located on top of the transmission (under the master brake cylinder) under the hood. I replaced it at a cost of $40+. The electrical problems ended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.