Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed a new stereo, removed the factory. well all went fine, was working for one day. then all of a sudden my stereo went out. i wasn't too worried just thought it was a loose connection, but then i noticed my speedometer stopped working too. everything else seems to work. my ac works, and my lights, gas guage works. but my radio wont power up, and my speedometer wont work at all. tried changing the fuse...i think i changed it. my manual is gone. I have a 1999 Taurus SE

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok, i had this problem too on my 98. The power wire that you tapped for your deck is connected to a fuse in the fuse box by your feet, If you turn it up to where your deck draws more than the fuse...POP. The fuse also powers the guages. Just look in your manual for the fuse labeled "Radio" and change it out. Tell us if you get it working again.

Josh

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think he mentioned that his "manual" is gone..

But don't worry, I think what most people need is a good Taurus guide/manual, why don't you try Chilton's Taurus manual? I got it less than a week ago and it has been extra informative, better than the original car manual

·
Registered
79 Posts
oops, my bad :redface:
I think that the fuse cover has a label inside it that tells which fuse is which. haynes manual says its a 20 amp fuse.

josh

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

With the radio fuse blown, the odometer also does not work. Discovered this when a co-worker had an aftermarket radio installed. The fuse blew a couple of days later. He did not realize that the radio going out coincided with the instrument cluster not working.

He went to a Ford dealer to remedy the problem. Since it was an aftermarket radio, they said that there was nothing they could/would do about the radio, but the cluster was bad and it had to be replaced. He had them order a new cluster (about $400) and took the car back to Best Buy to get the radio fixed. They replaced the radio fuse and everything worked.

He immediately canceled the new instrument cluster and saved himself big bucks. I can't believe the dealer did not check the fuse, instead of trying to replace the cluster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts