Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from the other site of the globe ! :cool:
Beeing a Taurus owner for 3 days now the car is still in the shop and get's it's transmission repaired.
Trying to use the time to find out some information of things I want to add, repair or swap.
e.g.: the cluster

Living in Germany, we use KPH (like the Canadians do) instead of MPH.
My 2010 SHO is an US model, so the outer ring of numbers on the speedo is for MPH and the inner, smaller ring of numbers is for KPH.
For better reading I would like to change to a Canadian cluster.
I know that the milage that will be shown after swapping will the one of the donor car and can't programmed by myself, but that doesn't care me.

So my question:
Can I drop in a KPH cluster of the same model year and will it work without any programming on my car ?
Would it even possible to upgrade to a 2013+ digital cluster ?
Or won't that work out ?
:roll:

Any info is appreciated,
thanks,

Martin .. from Duesseldorf / Germany
:wink:

·
Registered
30 Posts
The mileage is stored in the Powertrain Control Module, not the Instrument Panel Cluster.
In the 2010-2011 the Instrument Panel Cluster acts as the bridge between the High Speed CAN Bus and the Medium Speed CAN Bus. On the +2013 the network configuration is different. I believe that there is an additional CAN Bus on the +2013. So I would guess that a +2013 will not work.

At far as upgrades go, I recommend replacing the backup lights.
https://www.amazon.com/Lumens-Canbus-Backup-Reverse-Extremely/dp/B0797K6GX1
These are not plug and play, you have to fiddle with the wiring a little.

If you car has the halogen headlights which do not double as Daytime Running Lights, I recommend these

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your explanations ...
I already thought that a 2013+ cluster wouldn't work ... :rolleyes:

But would a 2009-2012 one work if simply swapped, without any "programming" ?
There are several KPH cluster on ebay, but I don't want to hit the button without confirmation that it works out.
Any help or info would be appreciated, thanks.

Martin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks like you'll need a scan tool. I use OBDLink MX+ and FORscan. The MX+ is fun to have. I use it with an 8" android tablet. With it you can build custom gauges to monitor everything from transmission temperature to tire pressure. Log data and dump it to Excel if you like.

If you decide to go forward with the replacement, I can send you the other pages from the service manual. However it does not provide instructions on how to use the scan tool.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts