Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
First post! I hope this is the right section.
I'll keep it short, i'm at work :p
94 taurus, AXOD trans. 85k miles
The speedo doesn't register and the transmission shifts hard, searched around on forums and everything pointed to the VSS. I pulled the part and hooked the speedo cable to a drill and it operates the speedometer. Replaced the VSS and the issue persisted. I pulled the VSS again and then the VSS housing on the transmission. pulled the gears out and found this long shaft with a gear at the end that seems to be bad. I've included a couple pictures because I suck at describing things :p
I peeked into the transmission and the one that's mounted inside the trans that hooks up to this gear also seems to be worn.
I'm trying to figure out the name of these two parts so i can order them. also, is the gear mounted in the transmission easy to pull by removing the trans pan, or do I need to extract the transmission?
I'm kind of sad that i didn't find this site until now. I've had my taurus for about 3 years now and am looking to sell it soonish. This would have been a fun forum to be a part of.
Anyway, thanks for reading this post and thanks for your help :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update! ok i seem to have found the part name. page 107 of the axode-ax4s_tech_manual.pdf so nicely provided by this site states it's a "speedo shaft driven gear" I've been looking around for this part but i can't seem to find it on sites or ebay. hunting for a part number now, any and all help appreciated :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
update! ok i seem to have found the part name. page 107 of the axode-ax4s_tech_manual.pdf so nicely provided by this site states it's a "speedo shaft driven gear" I've been looking around for this part but i can't seem to find it on sites or ebay. hunting for a part number now, any and all help appreciated :)
[/b]
Hi cannibal,
I just found this site myself and believe I am chasing the same type problem. I changed the vss also which corrected the problem shortly but it has returned. I think it just redamaged the driven gear on the vss again. Have you been able to solve your issue? Can the drive gear shaft be changed without pulling the tranny? My speedometer jumps all around and when this happens shifting is erratic. Sometimes speedo doesn't work at all and shifting is better but possibly no OD. Sound familiar? anybody with input it would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I'd be looking around a JY for that part.

Have you tried the dealer? Core part number is 7G176

Item Part Number Description
1 7G176 Speedometer Drive Gear and Shaft
2 N804123-S2 Speedometer Drive Gear Pin
3 17285 Speedometer Drive Gear
4 7G173 Speedometer Thrust Bearing and Race
5 N803201-S Speedometer Cover O-Ring Seal
6 7A301 Speedometer Cover

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd be looking around a JY for that part.

Have you tried the dealer? Core part number is 7G176

Item Part Number Description
1 7G176 Speedometer Drive Gear and Shaft
2 N804123-S2 Speedometer Drive Gear Pin
3 17285 Speedometer Drive Gear
4 7G173 Speedometer Thrust Bearing and Race
5 N803201-S Speedometer Cover O-Ring Seal
6 7A301 Speedometer Cover
[/b]
Thanks SHOZ123, Then I assume from your picture that the VSS goes into part #6? (just to be sure.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes. FWIW this part is the same for all AX4S no matter what year.
[/b]
Thanks for the Info. Now at least I have something to chase. Not that I look forward to standing on my head again to get this out!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
any updates?

Hello
I have a speedometer that doesn't work when the car is cold and a trans that hard downshifts from 2 to 1 when its cold. As soon as it warms up the speedometer and trans work fine. The speedometer and trans always fail/work together. Neither ever starts to work ahead of the other. I was getting the 452 code so I replaced the vss but had to use the old gear. Still had the same problem so i pulled the vss again and put a new gear on it (from the dealer) but that didn't fix the problem. When turning the gear manually with my hand the speedometer works.
So I was curious if anyone ever figured what caused this and how to fix it?

thanks

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
if you can get the gear to work by hand then the teeth inside the trans are more then likely worn and not making good contact with the vss gear teeth,

·
Registered
6 Posts
so do you think it just gets malleable enough to work when its hot? Also can that gear in the trans be removed just by dropping the exhaust and pulling that cap off? or do I have to pull the whole trans?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Hi!
First post! I hope this is the right section.
I'll keep it short, i'm at work :p
94 taurus, AXOD trans. 85k miles
The speedo doesn't register and the transmission shifts hard, searched around on forums and everything pointed to the VSS. I pulled the part and hooked the speedo cable to a drill and it operates the speedometer. Replaced the VSS and the issue persisted. I pulled the VSS again and then the VSS housing on the transmission. pulled the gears out and found this long shaft with a gear at the end that seems to be bad. I've included a couple pictures because I suck at describing things :p
I peeked into the transmission and the one that's mounted inside the trans that hooks up to this gear also seems to be worn.
I'm trying to figure out the name of these two parts so i can order them. also, is the gear mounted in the transmission easy to pull by removing the trans pan, or do I need to extract the transmission?
I'm kind of sad that i didn't find this site until now. I've had my taurus for about 3 years now and am looking to sell it soonish. This would have been a fun forum to be a part of.
Anyway, thanks for reading this post and thanks for your help :D

Keep in mind, there is another issue that can affect the problem.
If your sub-frame was dropped for maintenance and the VSS connector
was NOT disconnected, it could have stretched the wires and caused
an intermittent connection in the wire harness. You can buy a connector
and wire stub to graft on to where the old one was if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car was part of the subframe recall because of the damn road salts, so its possible that it was deteriorated enough that they just replaced it. Come to think of it, it looks pretty new. This was a few years ago when I was blindly handing my car to people and not asking questions. But the wiring is definitely worth checking. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
replaced the gear and that fixed it

sorry it took so long to give an update. replacing the gear as shown in cannibal's post completely fixed my problem. I was able to get the cap off and replace the gear from the top. This saved alot of time from not having to drop the y-pipe. I thought that maybe the speedometer cable was not lubricated enough it may have held the gear it interfaces with in the vss in place which in turn held this gear (on the shaft in cannibal's photos) causing it to be warped and damaged by the unstoppable tranny gear. Based on this assumption, as tentative as it is, I didn't reconnect my speedometer cable. I have put on roughly 4000 miles since replacing the vss and gear and have not had any issues since then.

So I'm not saying it was definitely the cable's fault but it may be worth looking into for anyone having recurring VSS issues.

Thanks for all the info,
Nick

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have ordered the parts that are still available to complete this job...the drive gear, shaft, and o-ring seal.

Not to resurrect this thread, but is getting at this speedometer gear housing and pulling out the speedo drive gear assembly possible without taking out the rear exhaust manifold on my 94 GL 3.0? From what I've read here, it seems I at least don't have to take out the entire transmission.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have ordered the parts that are still available to complete this job...the drive gear, shaft, and o-ring seal.

Not to resurrect this thread, but is getting at this speedometer gear housing and pulling out the speedo drive gear assembly possible without taking out the rear exhaust manifold on my 94 GL 3.0? From what I've read here, it seems I at least don't have to take out the entire transmission.
Its been awhile, but as i recall the speedo cable connects to the VSS on
the trannnie. I remember changing a early VSS years ago on a Vulcan
by leaning over the top of the engine. You might be cussing and sore,
but it should be possible

The newer VSS don't have the mechanical cable going to them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
go from the top

Just to confirm what Soundu said, you can definitely access the gear housing from above. soak it for a little in your penetrating oil of choice and get a long (like 3 foot) extension from harbor freight and wobble extension to help with the tight quarters down there and lower the socket onto the bolt from directly above. be prepared to work to get it off. The reason its so difficult is because there is barely enough space between the gear housing cap and one of the bolt heads to fit the socket on it (theres a total of 2 bolts holding it on). But its possible because thats exactly how i did it. Also it helps to have long skinny arms to unhook the speedometer and sensor. I was able to snake my arm down from the driver side fender and unhook the stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

This manual has been a pretty good reference guide thus far.
http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/Reference/AXODE-AX4S_Tech_Manual.pdf

I replaced my speed sensor (BWD SN7141 - Auto Trans Speed Sensor | O'Reilly Auto Parts)
which is located on the driver's side of the transmission. Just took off the driver side front tire and it was right there to unbolt and remove and replace. Easy peasy.

Props for the wobble extension idea. Once I unbolt the housing, does the gear shaft come out easily and install back in just as smooth? Or do the teeth have to lock in a certain way before the shaft and drive assembly will go back into place? Any other tips or cautions you would advise? Never done this before, so thanks for any additional help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
gear shaft will come out smoothly, make sure to cover the hole with a clean rag while cleaning the housing cap and preparing the new parts for installation. installing the new gear does require a little bit of caution because you are right the teeth need to lock in place. But its not too difficult. just coat everything in trans fluid and ease it into place. if it doesnt go all the way down, DONT push it. just pull up and turn slightly and repeat until it goes all the way down. Doesn't take long. Good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update: Problem solved.

Replacing the gear discussed in this post solved all my problems. Transmission shifts like butter. Many thanks to cannibal, soundu, and popfart for your posts and such. The wobble extension suggestion made a 2 hour job into a 5 minute job.

My speedo still bounces, but I found the fray in my upper cable. Just need to replace that, and she's good to go for another 100k.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Update: Problem solved.

Replacing the gear discussed in this post solved all my problems. Transmission shifts like butter. Many thanks to cannibal, soundu, and popfart for your posts and such. The wobble extension suggestion made a 2 hour job into a 5 minute job.

My speedo still bounces, but I found the fray in my upper cable. Just need to replace that, and she's good to go for another 100k.
This will *probably* be what I have to do.

Can I get a name for the "gear shaft" so for when I go looking? Or, is it just that plastic piece, with the teeth?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts